Replacing Toilet upstairs broken overflow pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Theleman, Nov 10, 2018 at 8:11 PM.

1. Theleman

Theleman Member

Where could I buy the overflow pipe as the photo?

Which one would be the same one as the photo? Because I looked at Screwfix and Toolstation, and they seem just selling ones with solvent weld?

Is this the solvent weld one?

Screenshot_2018-11-10-19-59-15.png

2. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

Either suppliers will do. Its the pipework that is solvent weld. Bit of a mis description. The pipe does not get solvent welded to the fitting on the cistern.

3. terrymac

Its the overflow stand pipe thats broken ,not the pipe.

Heat likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

:oops:

I can see that now on pc, & not phone.:oops:

5. Theleman

Theleman Member

Ahh... I see. The overflow stand pipe is separate from the overflow pipe?

6. Theleman

Theleman Member

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

8. terrymac

Your pic ,looks to me ,as though the pipe is not aligned to the fitting ,and may have contributed to the thing breaking. Or is it a trick of the camera shot ? If its not aligned it may not be as easy as you think

Heat and Theleman like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Buy blank cap, fit flush valve with internal overflow.:)

nigel willson, Heat and Theleman like this.
  10. Theleman

Theleman Member

I thought it got out of line due to the breakage. It had been like that for years, and I forgot about it.
    Only yesterday I spotted the problem again purely by chance.

But I don't know, maybe it broke because it is not aligned, as your suggestion.
    It was like that long before we moved into this house, that I am sure.

11. Theleman

Theleman Member

That's sounds too sophisticated to me. Please explain. Youtube videos helps best :)
    You are talking to a DIY total newbie :D

12. terrymac

Can you take a pic of inside cistern and post here ,you MAY already have a flush valve with internal overflow.

13. Theleman

Theleman Member

Here they are. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 21.39.20.png Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 21.39.37.png

14. terrymac

Hard to tell. The blue topped valve in the middle is a siphon ,and some will allow water to flow thru them and into the pan ,if the water level reaches too high. Cant tell if the height of yours is much higher than the top of your overflow inlet. You could do a trial ,but put a bowl or towel beneath the broken outlet ,push down on the float to allow more water into cistern until it is very close to the top of the overflow outlet ,whilst looking down into the pan to see if water is going into pan. Then flush to empty cistern and let go of float. If water ran into pan before level of water in cistern reached your overflow pipe you could get rid of it.

Heat and Theleman like this.
  15. Theleman

Theleman Member

Initially what I tried was to raise the level of water in the cistern, so flush would be stronger. When the water level rose, and over the overflow stand pipe, water was leaking through the broken stand pipe, that is how I noticed the breakage.

So, it was not let the water go down the pan automatically when the level rose, which means, then internal overflowing doesn't work?

16. terrymac

Correct. So you can either replace the standpipe ,or replace the flush siphon for one with internal overflow and remove the standpipe and fit a blank in its place in the cistern . as you seem to imply that you were having trouble with the flushing then replacing the siphon would be the way to go.

Theleman likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

18. Theleman

Theleman Member

Thanks for your confirmation.

The flush is fine, but water level was not high enough to give good flushes. I was just trying to up the water level in the cistern, which then started leak through the overflow stand pipe instead going down the pipe.

I replaced the siphon maybe about 5 year ago with a brand new one, and has been working ok.

I will just get the overflow stand pipe replaced, and connect it to the overflow pipe, because it is already there.

Cannae be bothered replacing the siphon again, as it works, because last time I recall replacing the old busted siphon was a wee nightmare :D

19. Theleman

Theleman Member

I would imagine the the plastic nut is to be tightened into the threaded bit of the overflow stand pipe (when replaced with new one of course), and it will make water tight seal.

20. terrymac

Yes ,a new nut comes with the stand pipe.

Theleman likes this.