Replacing TRV

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Multitalented accountant, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Hi,
    Just a quick query.
    Gonna have to bite the bullet and replace a TRV cos its stuck yet again, and the tried and tested method of tapping/whackin with the trusty screwdriver handle has stopped working.

What is the easiest way to replace one of these? I don't want to have to drain the system, so was thinking if one of those freeze sprays? Has anyone used these and are they any good ? How much time do they give me?( I do love a bit of pressure !)

Thanks.

2. A10

A10 New Member

I USE THEM ALL THE TIME AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS (TOUCH WOOD)
    MAKE SURE RETURN VALVE IS SHUT PLACE BAG ON PIPE SPRAY APPROX 1/3 OF THE CAN IN TO BAG WAIT APPROX 5 MIN SPRAY SAME AGAIN WAIT 5 MIN, THEN LICK END OF FINGER AND PLACE IT JUST ABOVE BAG IF FINGER STARTS TO STICK (DON'T LEAVE IT THERE) PIPE HAS FROZEN AND YOU WILL HAVE APPROX 20 MIN TO PLAY WITH BUT REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD THE REST OF CAN TO GIVE YOU MORE TIME

3. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Make sure you have exactly the same size valve ready before you start because there at least 2 different sizes.
    If you find that the pipework is too long or short at the last minute you may have to put the dud valve back to stop a flood.

4. artymike

artymike New Member

Hi,
    I have frozen pipes for maintainance before, but would now choose to drain, too many horror stories!
    I used to hire a Rothenberger freezer, which to the novice is the dogs ******! I tries to freeze a rad on the 8mm feeds in the cellar. I put it on the white insulation thinking it would easily penatrate it with the cold. Started work only christen my new boiler suit with black rad water!!Did I look an ***!
    Borrow an electric one at your local hire shop, no hurry then.
    Or drain down, maintain all you valves at once and refill and chemical recondition your system in one operation.

Mike

5. Gasman

Gasman New Member

Hi there
    Don't waste your money hiring or buying pipe freezing equipment or sprays, although these work well the easiest and cheapest way to change rad valves is a pair of rubber bungs, sold by all plumbing and heating suppliers one make is Drain easy.
    To use these simply put 1 bung into the cold feed outlet of the header tank 1 on the vent pipe and then open the bleed of the radiator or a drain tap until no more water comes out shut the radiator valves and drain the rad you can then replace the valve with no water loss

6. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Gasman, that's OK unless you have a combi system with no tank.