Repointing ridge tile issues.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by glob@l, Aug 1, 2021.

1. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Fairly big lumps of cement are detaching from below the ridge tiles.

To put this right, would I be better to build it out from the bedding a bit at a time, allowing overnight drying in between, or simply do the whole cement fill at the same time? Would PVA help in this situation?

The reason I ask is, I believe it's been repaired before and has, perhaps, been filled all in one go.

The other issue may be the cement mix, it would help if I had some idea for the build out (if appropriate) and if the final pointing mix, if different?

It would seem, for whatever reason, ridge tiles are usually bedded one day then pointed another day!

Thanks.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Butter the joints is poor effort so always best to get the lot off and refit.

To get straight the roofer I used got tung and groove timber and run ridge tiles along wood tung. Might be different to what you are asking about though.

I'm not great at pointing so cheat and use duck tape to cover ridge tiles or brickwork as I point up as keeps them clean

Roofer I know used 4-1 mix which is very strong but what he told me so I do the same on repairs.

If ridge is set you can point same day. Not seen one done in 2 days
    Not my area...
    That's all I know..

3. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Take off and re bed
    upload_2021-8-1_13-1-39.png

Wayners likes this.
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As a matter of interest I have just had mine done and the guys came back the next day to put in mechanical fixings. They appear to be screws along the top between the tiles is this now a requirement?

5. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Since 2015 to meet bs 5534, ridge, verge and all single lap tiles should be mechanical fixed.

teabreak likes this.
  6. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I presume the addition of mechanical fixing will be for health and safety should the tile ever be blown off.

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Or to push the use of dry verge and dry ridge systems, says the cynic ;)

8. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

What even on bedded ridge tiles or are bedded ridge tiles a non starter these days?

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Oh you can still bed ridges, but they should still be mechanically fixed as well, Marley ridges at one time had a wire imbedded to facilitate this but now they would rather sell you a dry ridge :(

10. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Thanks all!

11. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I always thought that the dry ridge system was more to do with adding ventilation.

Kizzbos likes this.
  12. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Definitely part and parcel of it but wouldn't think its specific to it?

13. Kizzbos

Kizzbos New Member

It depends on roof design and type of roof membrane used.

14. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Sorry to hijack thread but having the same issue as the OP - bits of mortar falling on to driveway. House is 16 years old and the whole roof was only repointed last year so not best pleased. Had a quote for dry system ridge tiles of 5k. Seems a bit pricey - house is a relatively modest 4 bed detached with hipped roof, about 70 ridge tiles in total.
    Are dry systems seen as an improvement on concrete/mortar systems?