Repointing & windows

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bendigobob, Feb 3, 2007.

1. bendigobob

bendigobob New Member

Hi guys, looking to get the front of my house (terrace house) repointed. It has 2 large bays- one above the other & 1 small bay above the front door. So the actual brick area is not very big, but you can put your fingers through in between the bricks all over the place!!!
    I'm also looking to replace the windows with UPVC at the same time as these are falling apart. I've actually had a quote for the windows that I'm happy with, but haven't commited to. I'd like to know if the pointing should be done before, during or after the window replacement? Also, the small bay looks as if it is being pulled outwards so there may well be some remidail work here!!! I'm in West London & would like to hear from anyone who'd be interested in quoting/doing this job. Cheers.

2. Biffo

Biffo Member

hi get the pointing done after the windows
    As for the dropped bay ,dont inform the window fitters ,and hope they dont see it before thet take old bay out
    Then ,you can blame them !!!!!
    I get this all the time ,its the first thing i look for .

check your upper main bay for any movment ,wallpaper being stretched or ripped ( both are easy repairs)

if the fitters are any good they will do the bottom bay first

Ok

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Only comment I would make is that grinding all the sand out may damage the finish of the new PVC windows. So they need to be covered or the grinding out done prior to fitting.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

hi get the pointing done after the windows
    As for the dropped bay ,dont inform the window
    fitters ,and hope they dont see it before thet take
    old bay out
    Then ,you can blame them !!!!!
    I get this all the time ,its the first thing i look
    for .

check your upper main bay for any movment ,wallpaper
    being stretched or ripped ( both are easy repairs)

if the fitters are any good they will do the bottom
    bay first

Ok

Do you mean the bottom of the two ? I guess you do.

Because the small one is not above another. The one that may need the remedial one should be first(before the bottom one of the two :)) as this may make more mes than the others. And as all buildings are different, it'll give the fitters a clue as to the attitude of the original builder(you know the one, 4" nail where 2" would have done).

If remedial work on the small bay might be needed it would make sense to leave the pointing until after. But if no brickwork remedies are needed, you could do it before.

About a month before. This will give the pointing work plenty of time, so as not to be disturbed by breaking out and fixing in of windows. A couple of weeks at least.

I can envisage the old SDS drilling away and chunks of mortar falling of here and there. :(

Or you could leave the repointing until all the bashing about has been finished. Again a couple of weeks(brick and mortar dust will ruin silicon before that, and won't be very pretty even when the silicon is dry)but wash the dust off silicon without wiping(you miht have to leave the dust on there till the mortar is dry).

To cut it short, 3 or 4 weeks before fitting windows, or a week or 2 after.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. Biffo

Biffo Member

Because the small one is not above another. The one that may need the remedial one should be first(before the bottom one of the two ) as this may make more mes than the others. And as all buildings are different, it'll give the fitters a clue as to the attitude of the original builder(you know the one, 4" nail where 2" would have done).
    Nothing to do with builder attitudes !!

fit the top bay ist,all trimmed up ,level and sealed...

fit bottom bay 2 acros used ,any movment of the barrel will cause the top bay to move !!!!
    AND if the bottom bay is not packed tight ,this will cause the top to drop ,putting the openers out !!

Thats why bottom bay first

Heads in

OK

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's alright biffo. That's what I thought you meant.

What I meant was the first to be done would be the one above the door, THEN the bottom of the two, before the top of the two.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. bendigobob

bendigobob New Member

On close inspection the wall paper on the ceilings of ALL the bays looks stretched & torn, but the small bay looks the worst. The small bay is above the front door & juts out from the brick wall, the room here has cracks all over!!! As mentioned, I'd like someone to do this work. I could rake out the old mortar if necessary, but would rather someone do the whole job!!!