Repressurising a boiler shouldn't be this hard

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by roxley59, Feb 8, 2018.

1. roxley59

roxley59 New Member

Hi, I live in a shared flat and roughly understand the concept of repressurising a boiler. Its cold and the indicator is well below .5 bar. Simples right?

Having done this before I look for the hose but when I find it there are no levers/valves that I am used to.

Instead there is this. I have no idea how to turn them. I tried the valve on the right (close up below) with a flat head screwdriver but having turned that a couple of times it did nothing, and was fearful of loosening it too much. The valve on the left does not appear to have the same flat head screw to be turned. Each valve does seem to have something below which look like it needs some kind of Allan key...

Do I need a special key to do this? Any help much appreciated...

[​IMG]

Close up of the valve on the right...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Can't get pictures. What boiler is it?

3. roxley59

roxley59 New Member

Put the images back in, its a Worcester Bosch

I checked, no keyless valve on the bottom of the boiler or the black bit to insert a key either (I watched some videos)

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

They look to be isolating check valves. If I'm right, all you need to do is rotate each screw head so that the slot is in line with the pipe. It only needs a quarter turn to go from 'on' to 'off'. When the slot is at 90° to the pipe, the valve is off. Try that.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. As Willy says - both these hose ends go straight in to pipes, so there are no other valves/stopcocks involved.

Open the top valve by that quarter-turn - until the screwdriver slot is in line with the fitting. That should have it 'open'. Now slowly creak open the lower one until you hear the water 'hissss'. Keep and eye on the pressure gauge and stop at just above 1 bar - no need to go higher. Shut off the bottom one, followed by the top one.

Always open these valves slowly and use your ears (you know what I mean... :rolleyes:). Especially open the second valve slowly and judge what you are doing - you really do NOT want too much water going in to the boiler or you can trigger the PRV, which sod's law dictates will continue to drip.

If you ever put in too much - say over 1.5 bar - then simply 'bleed' a little from a radiator screw.

And always shut off both valves fully - screw-slots at right-angles to the fitting - afterwards.

6. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the screwdriver slot may be a vent on the non return valve incorporated in the isolation valve. Below that is the valve operator minus its plastic handle. Turn it 90o with pliers.

7. :eek: Nicely spotted!

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Good shout.