Repurposing sand in mortar mix, bad idea?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by southwestie, Jul 27, 2021.

1. southwestie

southwestie New Member

Hi,
    I lifted an old concrete slab patio (down for over 15yrs) which had a good layer of sharp sand as bedding. I’m thinking of using the sand in the mortar mix for a replacement porcelain tile patio. Is this a bad idea? My concern is that the sand may contaminate the mix and weaken the cement bond.
    Any opinions welcomed

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I recon your concern above re contaminating the new mortar mix with used sand is totally justified and valid and simply not worth putting to the test :eek:

For the cost of laying a porcelain patio and the effort entailed, just not worth compromising any stage of the works with sub-standard materials

Realise this is probably not about saving money as sand is cheap (although gone up recently like most building materials) but more to do with having the sand already and on site and saves disposal but ……. Nahhh !

Don’t forget to prime backs of porcelain with SBR Slurry mix when laying and hope all goes well

southwestie likes this.
  3. southwestie

southwestie New Member

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Disposal is the headache (and backache), which I’d like to avoid, but your right in your reasoning. It’s a lot of cost and effort to put at risk, if the resulting mortar isn’t going to be durable. Slurry mix purchased, good call