Resealing a shower tray and door frame

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by kyleDIY, Mar 13, 2018.

1. kyleDIY

kyleDIY New Member

HI just wondering if anyone can advise, I need to reseal a shower tray and also the sliding door frame as it currently has a leak comeing from the bottom left of the door frame and is damaging the wall next to it. The shower tray itself needs the silicone replaced on all sides.
    I know that I need to reseal the outside of the door frame and not the inside but do I need to remove the door frame first to properly reseal the shower tray? The frame covers maybe 2 inches of the front bit of the tray where the tiles are on each side so can't get access to remove the old silicone seal and put new silicone down in that part.

Do I leave the the frame on and just seal what I can or do I remove the door frame first?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I recently had to seal a tray for a customer that was leaking through exactly that point - where door frame meets tray, meets wall. No choice in my case but to remove the frame which had unfortunately been sealed everywhere else - inside, outside and on the whole of the mating surface between frame and tiles. Grrr.....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    When the tray is sealed, to the wall, it’s normally done befor the frame is fitted,
    Then when to frame is fitted and you seal the outside of the frame, any water tracking down the inside of the frame, (as it’s designed to) will exit in to the tray!

If the tray to wall seal stops short of frame, the water can track out and no amount of sealant will stop it

Hope that’s clear

Regards
    Peter

4. kyleDIY

kyleDIY New Member

Thanks for you advice on this guys, I did have a go a takign the frame out but the top part seem to have a screw at each end with no room to fit a screw driver to unscrew this, any ideas?

Thanks

upload_2018-3-13_11-58-32.png

5. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    The rail is in two pieces , to remove the frame there are little screws with caps on,
    The inner rail is fixed to wall, then the outer frame is slotted in the inner one, to allow for walls out of Plumb .

Then the little screws are fixed to hold it together

The screw you’re looking at, is not to be removed, it’s holding the frame together

Hope that’s clear

Regards
    Peter

kyleDIY and Jord86 like this.