Resetting a remeha boiler avanta plus?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by rookie20, Dec 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rookie20

rookie20 New Member

This boiler has and will always be on the fritz, I've accepted. I moved into this house five months ago and have had to have boiler men around SIX times now, and it just keeps going wrong.

Anyone know how to reset this model? I tried holding 'R' nothing happened. Thank you for any help, it's cold and I don't have heating. :(

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

A hammer?

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Do you own the house, or are you renting?

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Do the boiler people know what they are doing? they should have located and fixed the fault by now. Either change the repairer or change the boiler, this is becoming a money pit.

5. rookie20

rookie20 New Member

Renting. The boiler man actually told me how to reset it last time he came, and the boiler just keeps going wrong. Today, when turning the boiler 'on' to start the heating, it stays with only one dot (two dots indicate heating is on). Radiators are luke warm despite boiler apparently not telling me its heating is on, but I'm freezing my kippers off and I can't get it started. :(

It is DEFINITELY a money pit (I thankfully dont pay for all the visits... but the landlord does). I don't understand why the landlord didn't just change the boiler like four complaints ago it would have saved money, if it was summer I wouldn't mind, but its winter and raining and I am fed up with this damn thing. Last time the guy came round to fix it (note, that was last month) he didn't even bring tools. I have not a scoobie what hes doing so I can't correct him, I'm in a state of 'waiting for the boiler to break so the guy can come again'. We have a joke now that every time he leaves we say 'see you soon' to each other.

Pressure is fine (between 1/2). Thermostat's telling me heatings on. Radiators have been bled. I honestly don't know what else I can do but freeze until money. :(

At this stage I feel like taking a hammer to it. :oops:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Did you manage to get it working?

When you bleed the radiators, does the pressure drop?

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    it sounds like an electronic problem, had a problem like this, and two faults. the clima stat was set wrong,
    need to check the amps from the boiler to wire the correct antisipator restistor.
    and the pcb required 'remapping' (it was a combi boiler that though it was a system boiler !)

good luck
    peter

8. PandA3

PandA3 Member

Hi.. I've got the traditional version of this boiler in my home (non-combi). The One red dot means it is on and satisfied and is ready to re-start, either once the thermostat calls for heat or when the water temperature in the pipes reduces to below the cut-out point.
    I have found over the 10 years I've had the boiler that come November it always 'plays up' but in reality i have learned that it is actually too good for the job when you only have a small demand. In other words, if i open up every rad valve and run the hot water tank and keep it pumping around the entire house, then it runs fine. Also in winter make sure the pump is running at full speed. (if it has speed settings)
    It is also worth re-setting the boiler to factory settings (if you can access the menu) as for many years I thought i was being clever by adjusting the flow and return temps but found out it works best at manufacturers settings (who would have thought!!)
    If your rads are staying cool and the boiler is not staying on then I would say the flow through the boiler is not sufficient and it is reaching its set limit too soon, before the entire water system gets up to temp.

To confirm...
    One Red dot means system is 'ready'
    Two red dots appear when it is actually running, as you say.
    Pressing the 'R' for 3 seconds is indeed how to reset.