Restricted waste access behind new kitchen units

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TheGrovesy, Dec 14, 2015.

1. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Morning all.

I like to think I'm pretty clued up with plumbing and have done most of my house with no problems.

However we have just received our new kitchen units and have found that the corner unit only has a 30mm utility gap at the back (the other units have a more reasonable 40mm). This means my 42mm waste is pushing the unit away from the wall much more than I would like.

The back of the unit is solid so this makes things more tricky. Any suggestions how I might get around this problem? I was thinking of using 32mm waste but I'm not sure that's a good idea for kitchen sink waste. And there is not enough drop to run the waste under the units.

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

could you cut the back of the unit? What type of unit is it

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Chopped out some of the wall to allow you to get the pipe in.

4. Reposition the solid back panel in a further 10+mm.

(All the butchery will be out of sight, man.)

5. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I think I'll have to butcher the back of the unit more than I have to get this working... I just wanted to check I hadn't missing something obvious.

For your information it's a corner carousel unit from diy-kitchens. It's annoying that their website says there is a 42mm service void when it's actually only 30mm. Oh well.

One other question. The waste needs to run behind the built in over unit. Do I need to use a 42mm copper pipe here? I'm assuming ovens are pretty economical these days and little heat escapes?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could be an error with the actual unit, had a similar glitch with DIY Kitchens & a unit, but they were very quick to recitify the problem, overall- I have found DIYKitchens very good & superb units.
    Will be fitting another of their kitchens in the New Year.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015