Retaining wall help

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by smithybora, Jul 12, 2009.

1. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Hi guys.

Am thinking about doing a hard stand in form of my house.

To do this part of the garden needs to be excavated. Leaving a height for a retaining wall of about 1.3 meters high. I know this needs a foundation. I only wanted to know if 7N blocks or hollow blocks filled with concrete and re-bar is better.

The wall would be about 14 meters long. Retaining wall to be about 1.3 meters to hold back the rest of the garden.

thanks guys.
    tony

2. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

Over 13 mtrs i would lay block flat then face it with brickwork.As its retaining i would also put in a land drain and weep holes.

D.S

3. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Hi.D.S.

Thanks for the advice. Thought block laid flat might do it.

Was going to put drainage and weeping holes in as well.

thanks
    tony

4. ­

­ New Member

Is this a straight, flat wall? If so it seems under designed. Rotation is the main problem with straight retaining walls, we have built loads over the years and yours sounds maybe to need a professional design unless you over-engineer the wall.

A deep, trenchfilled footing (1m+) will be needed. We always set in vertical 25mm rebar and use hollow blocks (unless the design asks for better) filled with well tamped strong wet concrete. All faced with brick if required. That would take some force to move it and the rebar links all the blocks together and resists horizontal cracking, horizontal reinforcement can be used as well to resist vertical cracking.

Drainage and weepholes essential too.

5. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Got to agree with No-Name.

If it were my house, I'd run it past an engineer - has to be worth a couple of hundred quid to prevent potential movement.......or at the very least to be able to rely on his liability insurance if the house ends up at the bottom of the hill!!

You'll need planning approval as well......

6. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Thanks for the info guys. Was thinking of going with the hollow blocks and concrete. I suppose you can never over do a foundation wall.

Also would any of you know about traffic control. I need it as the garden in right onto a bust road. I have heard you cant just hire traffic control lights and that you a permit to operate them. Also heard that i cant blocked the path way thats running along my wall.

Any help would be great. Might ring the council to ask as well.

thanks
    tony

7. Allah Valager

Allah Valager New Member

DS has it right
    You have to reduce a turning moment by allowing water to flow thru it else it will undermine it and create this instant

You WONT hold water either divert it else allow it thru

8. meebabs

meebabs New Member

to attempt this without an engineer's drawing is risky to say the least.

9. manassa

manassa New Member

Its hardly the great wall of china.

10. ­

­ New Member

The Great Wall of China is NOT a retaining wall. It is also riddled with cracks and is leaning over in many places. Not ideal.

11. meebabs

meebabs New Member

no, but its all about risk and to design it yourself is a risk so why bother?
    use an engineer.