Retaining Wall Query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mosaix, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Mosaix

Mosaix Member

2. Mosaix

Mosaix Member

From what I've been reading and watching on youtube there should be a facility to allow for drainage of water from behind the wall. There's nothing like that on my wall. Could that be part of the problem? The retained soil has a high sand content.

3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Active Member

If you are not using reinforcement, then you could improve strength by making the wall wider, particularly at the lower levels.

Mosaix likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

No problem,

Kiab and myself are late 50's but we do have a few injuries that restrict us.

Hollow blocks are a lot of effort and quite expensive. I would go with gabions, light weight, easy to fill and the good thing is that you can take your time and stop when you like. Plus a lot of the old rubble from the wall can be reincorporated so no skips to fill.

Yes there should be some drainage holes in the wall to prevent water build up.

Typically if you were building a new wall it would have weep holes and have chippings (or similar) behind the wall. Quite often a land drain is installed as well

KIAB and Mosaix like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Not having to hire a skip will save your around £270 off road for 8 yard skip.

Mosaix likes this.