Retraining/finding work

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ash moore, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ash moore

ash moore New Member

Hello plumbers,
    I am a carpenter, I have decided I want to learn something new, and so I am currently doing an evening course In plumbing.
    It seemed logical being as I fit kitchens and bathrooms from time to time, doing basic plumbing myself - outsourcing more complexed matters.

After the course I will have a level 2 diploma in plumbing, which i have been told, will make me a plumbers mate.

I have also been told that I can work towards a level 3 nvq at the same time as doing the diploma.

I can not afford to be paid as a plumbers mate/labourer full time and so, has anyone ever or would anyone consider employing a mate for 1 day per week on a self employed basis?

For this you would get a independent, competent tradesman with van and tools lightening your workload for a knockdown price for the 6months or so it’ll take me to get through the nvq.

Do you think plumbers in Bristol would go for this?

I could be ready to start in a couple of months.

Thanks in advance for you opinions and wisdom.

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Active Member

sounds like a plan he who dares

3. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Those courses are not worth the paper they're printed on I'm afraid.

No offence mate but if it's taken you three years or so to qualify as a carpenter and you'll still be green and inexperienced, do you really want to spend another three or four years to become a plumber to find out that you don't like that either, and by then you're close to forty, and still on minimal pay. Irrelevant of that, there's not a plumber I know who would go for your idea, it's a lot easier to have a cheap lad that fetches and carries, and doesn't require supervising when soldering a joint or similar. Without being demeaning, it really isn't a golden ticket that everyone seems to think it is being a tradesman.

longboat likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I don't know what the market is like in Bristol but in West Wales the market is flooded with gas fitters, general plumbers and unqualified people whom do plumbing on the cheap. Even though the market is awash with people the military are still training in people in plumbing as they leave the services. It is the same with the redundancy services persuading people to part with their payout and invest in a "trade"

As you know with the average kitchen refits there isn't normally extensive plumbing rework. If there is gas to move then your going to need someone with a registration in which case they may as well do the whole lot. The question would be is why are you doing it ? to get a difference source of work, to offer a more inclusive service, to save costs outsourcing ...