Reviews on Screwfix

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by gpierce, Dec 7, 2018.

1. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Nothing new but.... does anyone else get annoyed that SF decide to order product reviews on their website from high to low rather than in date order?

Some products are good, some aren't. Some reviews are by trade users who have a different perspective than DIY users, so I want to see the bad and the good. Sometimes a product changes slightly, or a production run has a defect, and I want to see the latest reviews.

Maybe there is a good reason, but the way it comes across is purely that because the reviews often go into multiple pages, by ordering from good to bad they can make it at a glance look as if a product is better than it is. Considering SF are supposed to be a trade supplier, I find it annoying and insulting to a certain extent that rather than be honest about what people are currently saying about products and tools I rely on to do a job that they structure it in a way to willfully mislead people into thinking some products that aren't that good, or products that used to be good but now aren't, or products that maybe suit DIY but don't work for trade.

2. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

Use the SORT BY button.
    Newest to Oldest.

PhilSo

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

And don't expect to see many bad reviews, they are removed.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Only the badly spelt ones :)

DIY womble likes this.
  5. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

That'll be yours then.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PhilSo

Lighten up Chippie.

6. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Oh I know. It just annoyes me. It’s been a long day and I’m in a complaining mood.

I don’t know if they still do but I remember about 2 years ago, if a product had less than about 2 stars on average, the star rating was completely hidden from the listings until you clicked into the product so that at a glance, every product in a category only had about 2.5 and up.

7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Most things with low ratings end up in the clearance sale and sold as "bargains" :rolleyes:

8. mafalus

mafalus Member

I feel exactly the same as you about this.
    Screwix, please order by date, newest first!!

9. enc

enc Active Member

Really ?

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Mine was, 3 times.

11. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

I ignore most reviews by diyers and go straight to the trade reviews. I also take with a pinch of salt all excellent reviews on top end high price goods, because let's face it when you spend top dollar you're probably only going to see the good in the product, the middling reviews are probably the most accurate on most products IMHO

Heat and Jord86 like this.
  12. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

The funny ones are the reviews that have one star and then you read the text - it says something completely unrelated to the actual product like the item arrived late or had to queue in store o_O

Heat and WillyEckerslike like this.
  13. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

.... Or put up as “The Deal of the Day” :mad:

Noticed that with quite a few of “The (Get Shot of) Deal of the Day”
    Reviews are terrible

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Some of the " Deals" turn out to be unavailable at any SF outlet. I remember some months ago, they had a Karcher wet n dry vacuum on sale for about £45 or so. Dunno which SF outlet had it in stock, but doubt it was in any of the British Isles outlets.

15. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Ah yes, the Festool reviews! :rolleyes:

16. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr New Member

I don't take much notice of the reviews on Screwfix especially for the cheaper tools. I tend to use google for reviews. As also mentioned here if you spend a fortune on something it is only natural to convince yourself you have bought a bargain unless it is total ****.

17. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

My wife got a bargain but I've only ever got bad reviews

Heat and WillyEckerslike like this.