Rewire on the way!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by M107, Mar 17, 2008.

1. M107

M107 New Member

Well I've just been out to quote on a rewire, the place hasnt been touched for years (apart from the new meter 2 years old).

The consumer unit for the lighting
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/DSC00116.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/DSC00115.jpg
    Thats the cu for the sockets all on radials 2 per room.

All cabling is lead sheathed. The only modernish stuff is the aluminium T/E used for the 3x strage heaters.
    No eqip bonds. MEC is no more than 2.5mm bare ally.
    All the sockets have a small bakerlite switch next to them for switching :).
    Fused neutrals.
    Wall are lave & plaster ...deep joy. At least theres a 4ft void below the floor, so the boy wont struggle when clipping T/E to joists .
    If I get the job I'll take more pics.

Welshy I tried to post pics over the other side mate, but cant get into the site?

2. Walo

Walo New Member

Wow ! the consumer units look quite advanced from here in Blackpool !
    Hope you have put plenty in for the 4 foot floor voids

Some work you dont want.:)

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

M107, I've just logged into the site no problems..

As for your pics..:)

Reminds me of my younger days, love the porcelain fuses..

:)

4. SPECIAL LOCATION

SPECIAL LOCATION New Member

Just took out a wooden CU like that last week,
    In the process of rewiring with a nice big Crabtree starbreaker dual RCD job.
    No lead cables but the cooker & the kitchen are still Rubber cables!

Its a very out of date property, No central heating, No gas, No shower, but the new owner is doing major upgrade.

The plumbers arrived today to fit central heating and solar roof panels, they had to put a massive cylinder, (probably 6ft high) in the loft, wouldnt fit through the hatch so had to cut a hole in bedroom ceiling.

Along with the electrics I got put TV, & computer sockets around the place.

The previous owner was a bit of a DIY bodger, had socket outlets half way up two bedroom walls for TV's, connected to lights, which were twin & no earth, so sockets wired with no earths!!

There was a leak in a water pipe that had been repaired with tape and paint!! which had been dripping down on to a 20amp J/box such that the lid screw had rusted to become inoperable!!

There are numerous cables buried in wall, no capping, just plastered over, along top of skirting, up corners of walls & doors or diagonal.

Sockets screwed onto wall with no back-boxes!!

walls patched up with newspaper & plaster in a paper-mache' arrangement!

And they wonder why DIY can be dangerous????

Once it is all done it will be like going from Noahs ark to Star trek technology!