Rewiring........is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Guy, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Guy

Guy Member

I have recently moved into a house that is about 44 years old.
    If all the wiring is PVC, will it need to be rewired?
    If it does have PVC wiring, does it still have to be rewired every 25 years.

Thanks.

Guy

2. electro

electro New Member

If the wiring is pvc/pvc then i would imagine that the wiring is pretty sound, the only way to be sure is to have the a full inspection and test.
    Lee (electroplumb)
    www.electroplumb. org.uk

3. Huddy

Huddy New Member

it is not necessary if the pvc cable has got an earth cable incorporated in it but to be on the safe side i would get it checked out by a N.I.C.E.I.C qualified electrician. It may just need updating. Good luck.

4. sparky (Original)

sparky (Original) New Member

if the wiring is in good condition that it should be ok best to get tested to be on the safe side
    do you know if its been rewired before you moved in?

5. Guy

Guy Member

I don't know if it has been rewired, but it looks quite new to me.

Guy

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

well, is the wire black? if it is it defanatly needs a re-wire.
    and does it have a fusebox with re-wireable fuses, rather than a mcb/cartridge fuse type?

7. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Best way of finding if you have a clean supply is sit in the bath filled with water and place the 6mm (cooker or immersion heater supply) cable in at the plug end and see whether the water gets dirty. It may turn a sludgy brown as your sphincter relaxes but stick with it.

You'll make a sparky one of these days

8. Sparkyman

Sparkyman New Member

Re: PVC wiring, there is a difference in the CSA size of the earth conductor in eg 2.5mm2 cable installed 25years ago and 2.5mm2 cable installed in the last few years.

When the 16th edition regs came into force all earthing conductors were upgraded and this was reflected in the pvc Twin/Earth so it may well fail an NICEIC test on that count.

9. everhopeful

everhopeful New Member

Not funny chas. Somewhere in the UK there's somebody daft enough to take that as a serious answer....and they might just be reading this website.......

10. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

For a house that old, I suggest it it prudent that you rip the whole lot out, and start afresh, old wiring is likely to be starting to decay, with dangerous consequences if a short circuit ignited timber materials etc.

It is also likely to fail to meet modern safety standard.

Do NOT gamble with your life - get it re-wired ASAP.

11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Err - he should check/get it checked first - that ripping out and replacing may already have been done. Just 'cos his house if 44 years old it doesn't mean that the wiring is....

12. George Icbar

George Icbar New Member

There is a requirement to maintain the level of sheer insanity thet prompted you to move house in the first place and rewiring is a very good way to do that. When you finish the job, rewire again!

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

When you finish the job, rewire again!

You missed a step:

1. Finish the job
    2. Find out what the wiring regs say
    3. Rewire again to fix the mistakes you made

14. professional

professional Member

The wiring may be PVC but at 44 years old the lighting will probably not be earthed. For God`s sake get it checked by someone who knows what they are doing.

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Absolutely get it checked, but you have no grounds for saying that because the house is 44 years old the lighting has no earth - it may all have been rewired last year.

Advise the chap to get it checked, but don't give him nightmares....

16. professional

professional Member

My advice is to get the wiring checked by someone with <u>experience</u>, this is usually where sensible advice stems from ( I don`t class anything less than 10 years as experience but an extended apprenticeship)

17. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

My advice.......

have a periodic inspection and test done on your house

Some people have this done prior to moving in to a new house a precautionary measure.

You will recieve 5 sheets of A4 with aspects of the wiring sytems/test results it will basiccaly be an MOT for your property.

I recently done one for one of my customers who wanted a complete re-wire,but after the initial inspection finding that just a change of fittings like socket covers,light switches, pendants and so forth and with an upgrade from 16mm tails to the now recognised 25 and all the test results coming back satisfactory,the core wiring was fine.

hope this helps.