Rewiring kitchen sockets - Is this set up correct ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by FMD, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Yes I agree complete waste of £80, I'd tested it all the day before so I knew it was all good but not all sellers can do that obviously.

But I'm not registered and don't do domestic so couldnt issue scheme type EICR?

2. Ind spark

Not sure mate don't touch domestic very oftern, thankfully.

WH55 likes this.
  3. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

No. In England and Wales nothing is legally binding until contracts have been exchanged. None of this your committed once you have made an offer nonsence.

4. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

Here, you can sue under the t&cs after the sale has gone through and even after you’ve moved in. For some things you have 2 weeks post completion / moving in to raise a claim, eg if central heating doesn’t work. For other claims, it’s even longer.

EDIT - this is all after missives are signed, which nowadays is around a week before completion / moving in. Before that, it’s not binding.

5. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

You’re not the only person to say this to me, but it’s not really correct. If you make an offer in Scotland, you can still withdraw the offer or change the price etc., right up until missives are exchanged. As I said, nowadays that’s less than a week before the move in date. Many years ago, it used to be a couple of months before the move in date, but it all changed c.20 years ago I reckon. The dates seem to get closer together every year.

It must be a really common misconception about Scotland as a couple of people have said this to me over the last few years.

6. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Fancy a day out there?

Ind spark likes this.
  7. malbec4

malbec4 Well-Known Member

Did I do it? I can normally do 13 circuits in 15 minutes. Sorry for taking so long.

Ind spark and WH55 like this.
  8. bright_Spark

You got a thorough one done then.

Ind spark likes this.
  9. bright_Spark

Yes you do, Domestic boy.

Ind spark likes this.
  10. Ind spark

Oh yes

11. Ind spark

No I don't grate light bulb changer

12. Ind spark

Can do, you and my ex wife gone in one swoop....bliss

bright_Spark likes this.
  13. Ind spark

Bad really isnt it? :eek:

14. Chrissy J

Chrissy J New Member

As I understand it, DIYers shouldn't be doing kitchen or bathroom electrics, full stop. Nothing more complicated than replacing a lightbulb, anyway.

15. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

How bizarre. You have just joined the forum, and your first post is telling everyone not to do the very thing they came for advice on in the first place.

WH55 likes this.
  16. derek_bartram

derek_bartram Member

That appears to be what the rules are trying to force upon. It's not about following engineering rules now, it's about do you have the right membership and paid the right dues. Sadly the attention to detail by a lot of diyers hasn't helped.

17. derek_bartram

derek_bartram Member

Not seen a single thing in BS7671 which states that.

Without knowing expecting socket loading and physical location that's a bad assumption at best.

Additionally that creates excess cable run, with associated cost and could even hit cable length limit issues.

Wellwisher and Coloumb like this.
  18. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

So we have another know-it-all newbie.

If you had served a 4 year apprenticeship you would have learned that in year 1.

19. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

There is no restriction on DIYers doing any electrics in the UK providing it is done safely and all the tests are done. Notification is required for a few items.

20. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

BS7671 does not tell anyone how to do anything, it sets out a set of requirements to be met.

It may be far more sensible from a design perspective to install a socket radial circuit rather than a socket ring circuit or sockets may need connecting to a ring in a non-sequential arrangement to balance the loads.

Basic design principles.