RG6 4.6mm Coaxial cable to terminate in TV in socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AndrewLivingstone, Sep 26, 2021.

1. AndrewLivingstone

AndrewLivingstone New Member

I'm extending existing TV coaxial cable by using RG6 4.6mm cable. I can't figure out how to terminate RG6 cable into TV in socket in my TV. Can anyone point me to find the correct plug? Thanks.

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

The correct name for the regular coax plug used on TVs is a Belling-Lee Connector, a google for that or coax plug will bring up many different qualities, from basic to gold plated etc.. any will do the job.

Alternatively your TV may have a screw in "F" connector

3. AndrewLivingstone

Spent hours can't find a thing. I do have this plug but it's too big for 4.6mm cable. I need a plug for RG6 4.6mm cable to terminate into TV. Attaching TV's port photo

Attached Files:

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's a standard co-axial socket, they've been in use for over 50 years!

5. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

6. AndrewLivingstone

It's not. It is only 4.6mm that's the trouble. Can't find any this size.

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It shouldn't matter if it's a bit smaller as there is a tapered claw which crimps onto the cable as you tighten it.

8. AndrewLivingstone

I tried, it's loose, comes off on it's own.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah, it’s that skinny coax cable that plugs seem to simply slide off from as the clamp doesn’t bite into the outer sheath

Can try the following;
    Strip off more outer insulation than you would with the thicker coax

Wrap several turns of insulation tape around the the last section of insulation, effectively building up to a similar diameter as the 6mm cable

Then make up plug as usual

The solid core also being thinner, either use a plug that has a screw terminal on the centre pin or cut long enough so it sticks out past centre pin, then solder at the end, trim back the excess

10. AndrewLivingstone

Okie I'll try. So shall I assume that there is no connector available for 4.6mm cables?

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Dont actually know, I’m just diy myself

Only seen the thin coax cable as pre-made leads with factory fitted plugs so not a problem there

But have used above method before when fitting your own plug to one of these skinny leads

Just make sure that once you’ve wrapped around with the tape, the cap of the plug still slides over this section but, you need to add enough wraps to make a difference and increase diameter of cable - well worth a try