Right way to fill gap behind skirting?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by fred812, Jun 10, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Active Member

I'm going to have some Gyproc 60 made up for a plaster repair somewhere else, will I be ok pushing some of that down there or should I be using something else?
    Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. I-Man

I-Man Well-Known Member

Better off using expanding foam to fill the bulk, then filler

koolpc likes this.
  3. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Oh, ok, got some of that to hand too.
    Thanks.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s a fairly wide crack - is the skirting coming away from the wall or is the wall / plaster really that bowed ?

Could probably close up gap by screwing and plugging through skirt into wall - is it a solid wall ?

Either way, filler will crack against wall/skirting junction - not the best product to use here in my humble diy opinion

By all means, get some foam in there if you wish (messy stuff, more so if you don’t have a foam gun)

Then finish with either caulk or acrylic frame sealant

Both are water based, easy to work with and ‘tool’, easy to clear away excess and will remain flexible and importantly, overpaintable (which silicone isn’t)

May require filling twice as when these products dry, depending on size of fill, they can shrink back a little so a top up may well be required

Allow plenty of drying time, don’t believe the ‘1 hr paintable claim’ some make, overnight is best, then ready to paint with your choice of jollop :)

5. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

The Gyproc 60 will crack due to shrinkage and movement, no harm in filling the bulk of it though to about 12mm below top then finish it off with Toupret interior.

6. Bob256

Bob256 New Member

I was thinking the same as DIYDave about the skirting pulling away and would try the screw and plug first of all if that's what the issue is rather than the wall itself being bowed.

The other thing about foam filler is that it expands as it sets. If the skirting board is tending to pull away from the wall the foam could end up pulling it further out from the wall.

7. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

If requires fixing use frame fixings or masonry screws .

8. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Thanks for the replies. Put a straight edge along the plasterboard and the bottom 300mm or so is bowed in which explains the gap. Its solid though as it the skirting.

Cuse my ignorance but why would Toupret be ok to fill the gap but Gyproc not?

9. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Toupret is an interior filler for wood and plaster gyproc is not a wood filler.

10. fred812

fred812 Active Member

But I wouldnt be filling the wood, it would effectively be building up the plasterboard wouldnt it?

11. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

In effect it is adhering to the plaster and wood.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Go flexible - caulk / frame sealant

Filling gap between 2 differing substrates with a powdered / ready mixed filler will invariably crack, may only be a hairline crack but will happen

What do people use between architrave and wall if gaps and why ?

fred812 likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Perhaps best listen to DIYDave's advice.

Will add though I started using Toupret interior filler back in 2008 and have never known it shrink or crack, performing exactly as it says in the instructions unlike so called flexible caulk which will definitely fail within 6 months, myself use flexible frame sealant and have recommended it's use many times on this forum and am heartened to know that it's been taken on board and is now being advised by others.

fred812 likes this.
  14. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Thanks all, advice taken,