Rigid copper tails for monoblock

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ThreadJacker, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

Some cheap monoblock kitchen taps come with thin copper tails but does anyone know where I can get hold of some decent quality ones?

When fitting these taps (especially on stainless steel sinks), I'd like to do away with the flexi's in favour of copper tails to give the tap some stability. ;)

2. imran_

imran_ New Member

Does anyone use anything different to help stability??? Top hat washer, extra plate/support. Lots of people with cheap, thin as an aromatic duck pancake, sinks.

3. plumber carl

plumber carl New Member

stick with the flexi if the sinks on the thin side as most are the tails snap at the end of the thread,,,,, go to Lott's were this as happened usual when there out,,,ikea taps often come with a substantial support bracket,,,

4. andys342

andys342 Member

much easier with flexes as well

5. GKU

GKU New Member

Agree , cobblers to those carp copper tails , just cut a small piece of 6mm ply with a suitable size hole in it (or something else suitable) to put up under sink for support before you put on horseshoe & nut ;)

6. rome60

rome60 New Member

I prefer the copper tails if they are the 15mm type,the flexes can be restrictive on the hot flow rate.

7. GKU

GKU New Member

Possibly , but I have'nt suffered any problems wiv em as yet :)

8. GKU

GKU New Member

And anyway , if you're in a house where the hot flow rate is an issue then surely a monobloc kitchen tap aint the way to go as the size of the threaded socket (10mm/12mm) which the tails screw into will also be restrictive on the hot flow rate :)

9. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

i always scrap the ones that come with basin mixers and always fit rigid onto a kitchen sink, better job ;)

10. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Know what you mean thready. Mate of mine asked me to fit a tap for him. Came from B&Q when I got the pipe slice on the tails the pipe crushed. ****!!!

11. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The copper tails that are supplied with monoblock taps are not designed to be cut (which is why they crushed when you tried the pipeslice on them). You are supposed to adjust the supply pipework to the correct length to connect them. They are especially soft so that they can easily be bent by hand without using any formers.

BB

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

If you're charging by the hour Seriously, installing sinks that are so thin they can't take a normal monobloc :(

When I was learning the trade, I don't remember anyone telling me to "let the pipes take the strain" ;)

13. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

When the pipes are coming through the back of a unit too high up you sometimes have to. I agree cutting is not ideal but decent pipes allow you too such as Bristan for example. I'd rather cut 20-30mm off than *** around.

14. rome60

rome60 New Member

As said never use a pipe slice on the copper tails the pipes are to soft,use junior hacksaw a file the end smooth if you use push fit.

GKU,i agree what you say regarding the tap body connections being 10mm bore but the 300mm flexes are 10mm bore.The decent copper tails increase from the tap body to 12mm then 15mm.

15. GKU

GKU New Member

rome- ;)

16. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

Personally I don't see a problem with the pipes making the tap more rigid, I mean nobodys going to be swinging on it are they?

17. GKU

GKU New Member

TJ - I agree wiv ya in theory , but there are some strange people out there and experience has taught me to rarely be surprised at what some people do in there own homes :^O

18. naughtyboy

naughtyboy New Member

try using a tap brace by franke its ideal for thin sinks and adds a lot of stability to monoblock taps available from some howdens

19. imran_

imran_ New Member

By definition, if it wobbles less using copper tails then they must be taking some stress.

20. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Oh c'mon now chaps!! Using the pipes to support the tap??!!! As said, if there's not a good support bracket & you MUST fit cheap tat, cut some exterior plywood(12mm at least) with a hole saw - one large hole & one small hole...............job done!!!