rigid units vs flat pack?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by mrtutz, Oct 13, 2008.

1. mrtutz

mrtutz Member

Can anyone tell me if the extra money on buying rigid units is well spent?

I am borrowing the cash to put in a new kitchen, and I won't be staying in the house for anymore than 5 years. Do I bite the bullet and go for the more expensive rigid option? Or should I go with Wickes flat pack?

Is there any point in digging for anything cheaper than wickes?

2. hi there i would like to give you a quote for your kitchen i supply design and fit rigit units the thing you have to remember is there aint any difference in rigid and flat pack when they are built its just that you will pay the fitter more to build the flat pack units so it sorts its self out that way on price

3. mrtutz

mrtutz Member

Thanks for the offer mate, but I won't be paying the fitter anything more if their flat pack.... Cos it will be me!!!!

Supply only maybe??

Post your e-mail and I will tell you what units I need.

Cheers

4. svinnie@btinternet.com check out my website www.granddesignkitchens.com

5. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

A kitchen is only as good as the installer, A poor installer can fit a very expensive & it looks **** & lasts 6 months. A good installer can fit a cheap kitchen & it looks great & lasts years.
    I personally don't charge any extra for flatpack. Rigid have there bonus of saving time making them up, but sometimes there made * & need modifying to install correctly.
    If theres alot of chopping about of units around pillars etc, then flatpacks are easier to cut about.
    I would go for the cheaper carcase, but upgrade hinges & drawer runners to cushion close. Plus any other fancy accessories that will make it that little bit better.

[Edited by: admin6]

6. mrtutz

mrtutz Member

Cheers Wise uncle, I will bear that in mind.

I'm not too bad at DIY, so I reckon with a bit of research on here I should be ok.

Cheers

7. yes a fitter plays a very inportant part of a well fitted kitchen but i disagree with cheap flat pack units being as good as rigid expencive units when fitted its all in the way the chipboard is compressed that the units are made off and to make up the average 15 to 20 unit flat pack kitchen for nothing thats the best service on this site

8. innit

innit New Member

Loving the website Vinnie... Quality!

9. thanks innit am still working on it

10. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Vinnie what has compression got to do with a sheet of chipboard that when installed is about 720mm high, 18mm thick. leave your sales pitch to customers. Your company still rips out carcases that were made at 15mm thick. (and still fairly good nick). The only reason companies made there carcases thicker was for sales. I've seen manufacturers now make carcases at up to 30mm thick. Now how is this thickness carcase any stronger than a 15mm when screwed together.It's not like the sides are going to bow.

11. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

On the upside, i like your website. But you might want to get legal advise on your terms & conditions

12. Make your mind up

the thing you have to remember is there aint any difference in rigid and flat pack when they are built its just that you will pay the fitter more to build the flat pack units

from your post at 8.15PM

and at 9.24PM

but i disagree with cheap flat pack units being as good as rigid expencive units when fitted its all in the way the chipboard is compressed that the units are made off and to make up the

It's one or the other.

I would say it's the first one, once fitted very little difference if fitted by a competent fitter.

Also the comment on the way chipboard is squeezed is nonsense 15mm and 18mm chipboard have very similar density profiles and whether it's 15 or 18mm that is turned to MFC they are all "squeezed" in the same way.

The only time that there would be a real difference in quality is if MDF is used as the core material.

13. !!

!! Active Member

Nothing wrong with flat packs just make sure you make em square.

It's east to level & plumb a rectangle but not a parallelogram

14. am still working on the site mate, but i dont know if u are a fitter but i know there is a difference in how chipboard is compressed because when u screw a hing plate into a cheep unit that has a bad quality compressed chipboard and do the same with a unit that has a good quality well compressed board [this is where the germans know there stuff) there a big difference you wont see it you will feel it when you building and fixing the units together now go back to thoese units say in 3 months time i bet you a tenner the hinges on the cheep units will be loose and the door isent line the way you left it, also when you are building flat pack units with thoes pins and cams wouldent take much to pull them apart i know been doing it for the past 22 years

15. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

quote from your own terms & conditions "At time of fitting please pay particular attention to edge detail, joints and door levels on the unit .No alterations to design or layout are possible once fitting is complete and you will be asked to sign off the fitting as correct upon completion. "
    You cant ask customers to check whether there doors are level. You should be asking your fitters.
    As most hinge plates are fitted with euro screws & not crappy 1/2 inch screws, there should no way doors should shift anyway.

16. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Oh & how can you pull a cabinet apart thats been correctly installed. As all weight bares down on legs not out on sides.

17. thanks wise uncle for your advise, if you have never made a mistake you have never made anything

18. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

i agree, Mistakes are to be learnt from, Just dont make it an epensive one.

19. Oh & how can you pull a cabinet apart thats been correctly installed. As all weight bares down on legs not out on sides.
    no to test how strong your flatpack unit is before its fitted it can be pulled apart easy enough. A lot of the weight bares on the gables before it reaches the legs

20. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

On the plus side, i do think you've got a good web site, it's easy to use, well presented & thats what's important to customers.