Ring Main, Spurs and 3 gang SSOs .... again

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jim_Lad, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Jim_Lad

Jim_Lad New Member

I know this has been discussed previously but I am confused and would appreciate some clarification.

Q1) I have a triple 13a sso in a ring main .... there is a spur from this unit to another triple 13a sso .... can I extend this spur to a switched fused connection unit to supply a cooker hood.

Q2) Alternatively could I reverse the sequence and feed the hood and then continue on to the triple sso

Q3) I am assuming that two individual spurs are not permitted from the one triple SSO in the ring main

Q4) I have been told that it would be permitted to use a choc-bloc connector to tap off the ring main inside the SSO to provide a spur .... I presume this is a load of old tosh ?

Regards and Thanks for your time

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

NO
    NO
    YES
    YES
    best thing to do is;
    put a fused spur(13amps) before the 3gang socket, then you can loop from 3 gang to another fused spur(3amp) to the cooker hood

BR

3. Jim_Lad

Jim_Lad New Member

Thank you for the speedy response ...
    What you suggest may be a bit difficult to arrange so I would like to ask your opinion on another suggestion:

I have recently had installed a central heating system with a combi boiler.
    The hot water cylinder and immersion heater have been removed.
    The supply for the immersion heater (radial from a separate fuse)has been used for the Combi boiler which is served by a fused switched connection unit.
    It would be easy to break into this supply with a junction box and so feed the cooker hood with a switched fused connection unit ... what do you think ?

Thanbks again

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

go for it, best option, aslong as you have 3 amp fuse
    BR

5. Jim_Lad

Jim_Lad New Member

Thank you .... This internet is wonderful