rip down or overboard

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Kevc, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Kevc

Kevc New Member

Not the most helpful ceiling shot but gives you an idea. This is just one corner of a 13m2 room , the rest is in relativly good condition.

When to rip down , when to overboard??

Is it all dependant upon how secure and flat the current ceiling is?

If it comes to over boarding, what would you suggest pathing?filling this gap in with?
    IMG_20190212_144340-min.jpg

2. Kevc

Kevc New Member

This is another room im doing, strong looking ceiling

Attached Files:

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If you're gutting the rooms to that extent, now would be a really good time to rip down the lath and plaster and replace with plasterboard. While you're at it, you can add insulation, do whatever rewiring might be desirable, check for any rot or pests in the joists, treat if necessary, etc.
    12.5mm thick plasterboard at my local building supplier is a fiver a sheet. For me it would be a no-brainer to replace. Then all you need is a light skim over the top and you've got yourself a really great ceiling which should last you years.

Kevc and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rip down only option, filty job, but end result is worth it.:)

Can only agree with the above, nothing else to add.:)

And get rid of that Artex, overboard, ASAP.:mad:

Kevc likes this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Picture 1, rip down. Picture 2 overboard, unless you want to update lighting, cable runs , insulation etc. In both cases use 1/2" thick board.

Kevc and KIAB like this.
  6. Kevc

Kevc New Member

Thanks everyone, helpful guidance and advice. It's not my project so insulation and all that is not my department but i''l make suggestions.

That's the plan then, rip down room one. Locate the joists and overboard room two.

Paul12345 likes this.
  7. Kevc

Kevc New Member

When it comes to screwing in, are all the cables out of the way above the joists? Cant find a difinitive answer.

Going to use 50-65mm drywall screws , smash holes to find joists , hole either side and middle , draw line to mark where the joists are.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

65mm screws will be fine due to joist depth and thickness of existing ceiling and new PB.
    A plasterboard lifter is also a great bit of kit to have around when doing this.

Kevc likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And they can be hired,& essential if doing high ceilings.

Kevc and CGN like this.
  10. Kevc

Kevc New Member

I have props and people to assist. About the cables though and where not to screw??

CGN likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As said, you’ll be fine. It’s highly unlikely that someone would have run cables/pipes so close to the botttom edge of the joist.
    If you were overboarding the floor instead, then more risky! :D

Kevc likes this.
  12. Kevc

Kevc New Member

What would you lot do with this? heavy pattern

Attached Files:

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Defintly different, is it Artex or something else.

I would take lot off & get wall replastered,looks too bad to overboard or skim,difficult to be 100%,as working from photo,could I suppose go around knocking all the ridges off, then overboard.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019