Rising damp quick fix - advice needed

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by oiagger, Apr 30, 2020.

1. oiagger

oiagger New Member

Hi all - asking for help with a diy fix for a damp kitchen wall. Obviously limited options and supplies at the moment!

Our kitchen wall has always been a little dodgy (which we always thought was just condensation), but with the recent rain it's very clear we have a proper damp problem. I think the rain is coming up through an uncovered brick on the outside wall, and just wanted to ask what might help in the meantime before we can get it fixed properly, put an airbrick in etc.

If we wait for it to dry out a little, and then cover over in concrete, would that help? Looking for anything we could do at the moment to stop it getting worse.

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

"Rising damp" is a cowboy salesman's term designed to frighten householders into paying for unnecessary and damaging 'damp proofing' work.
    It doesn't exist.

Your problem, if it only appears when it's raining, is probably caused by water getting behind the stucco on your wall and working its way
    through the bricks to the inside.

You'll need to have a good look and try to see where it's getting through. It's hard to see, but from your second photo, it appears there's staining
    coming down from the guttering area to the side of the window. It could be the gutter above is blocked or damaged, leading to water running
    down the wall. Have a good close look for cracks in the stucco, and gently tap it. If it sounds hollow, it's detached from the wall and perfect for
    trapping rain water.

But you need to have a good look and use your common sense with this. Whatever you do, don't panic! We're mostly made of water and it's not
    going to do you or your house any serious long term damage.

3. Kieran_13

Kieran_13 Member

oiagger, What I did in my house was buy DPC injection cream online as the damp course was damaged. I drilled holes the whole way along the wall at certain distances apart (instructions were provided) and I injected the DPC Cream before then filling the holes with mortar and painting the wall again. I did this both inside and outside the house for good measure and re plastered the bedroom wall inside too. 2 years on and I haven't had a bit of damp.

This is the stuff I used... well worth the money. you can also find good videos of it being done on youtube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rempro-400...eam&qid=1588240532&sprefix=doc,aps,162&sr=8-5

oiagger likes this.
  4. oiagger

oiagger New Member

Hi Joe - thanks for your reply, really helpful. It's certainly got worse with all the rain recently - I've not noticed a problem with the gutters but I've just checked and it does sound hollow all along the stain you can see in the photo. Could it be caused by water moving up rather than cascading down? The first image is where I thought the problem might be. When it rains water definitely pools in our side return, and that brick is directly in line with where the problem is, although much lower down. Apoligies if this is a stupid question but could water be travelling through that brick and up the wall? And would it be worth covering it over to see if it makes a difference? They're very damp to the touch even now.

I will keep an eye on the gutters though. It's going to rain today so will watch it!

Thanks again.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Water struggles to travel uphill, so although capilliary action could be causing a problem, I think it's more likely to be seeping in and down rather than going up.

It's really a case of looking hard though. The place it's getting in could be higher up than you expect.

There should be a damp proof course in your wall from when it was built. If this has been breached somehow, that can allow water to get past it.