Roller recommendations?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I'm about to start painting the hall and landing. I am looking for some very good quality paint rollers. They are for a smooth ceiling and smooth walls in emulsion.

Can anyone recommend the best ones to get to do a good job?

Many thanks, Li

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Roller sleeves I’ve been using at home are Prodec Microfibre, short pile (from TS)

Certainly not the most expensive but not the cheapest either

On that point, don’t whatever you do go for the cheapest, will end in tears and ‘fluffy’ paint as the sleeve disintegrates during normal usage :eek:

These kits where you buy tray, roller, sleeve, dust sheet, kitchen sink, etc, all for £2 - price should tell you all you need to know eh :)

So Prodec sleeves, as long as ur walls are in good condition, nice and flat, will get a great finish with short pile

Don’t forget though that a great finish isn’t soley down to roller sleeve - also wall condition, technique, choice of paint, and probably other factors as well :D

But buying a decent sleeve is a good starting point I guess - good luck :cool:

As with all sleeves, give a good wash before 1st use and a rub over as this will remove any loose fluff remaining during manufactur. Better it goes down sink than in ur paint. Allow to naturally dry and ur ready to go

Others will have their own recommendations, that’s to be expected

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Prepartion,& more preparation,takes time, but the end result is worth it.

4. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATIONS

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

[QUOTE="Lijong Tao, post: 1610381,

Can anyone recommend the best ones to get to do a good job?

Many thanks, Li[/QUOTE]
    I use a selection of rollers depending on the surface to be painted and the type of paint to be used which dictates which one selected, short, medium, long pile mainly 9 " also 4" with a felt pile. Look for Hamilton and Purdy rollers and I believe you will not be disappointed.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Add Wooster rollers to the list I reckon

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never used them.

9. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Purdy white dove sleeves.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never used them, competitor stock them, going to try one.:)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Daft I know but can't get on with them plus a nightmare to clean:mad:

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Why so hard to clean.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

They are quite a dense make up so absorb the paint too well.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ah! Stick it in garden & jetwash it, worked a treat with dense 15" roller sleeve I had.

15. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

Hello all. I'm threadjacking again because I hate it when people ask questions that have already been asked. I've noted Hamilton, Purdy and Prodec from the comments above.
    Which would you recommend as the best for value for money? Unfortunately I can't afford very high quality like the OP asked about. I'm after good quality for a good price (I'm a novice on a budget)
    I tried a cheap set yesterday and got covered in paint for my trouble so I know I need to upgrade.
    Also, does the tray make any difference?
    Thanks

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

TIP: a roller covers an area quicker you do not have go fast as that is one reason why you have been covered in paint splashes, another is the paint is too thin......................slow down!;):D

KIAB likes this.
  17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I wrap all my paint filled rollers in cling at the end of the day, and even in this hot weather I get no problems storing for a few days. There are a few good £2 sleeves I use but I find they fall apart after 48h with paint in them and don't wash out very well. Hamilton green stay together when stored wrapped up and wash out well. £2 sleeves are one time only use for me

KIAB likes this.
  18. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

Thanks Astra, I thought it was because the pile is too long but I will slow down! Anyone got any other thoughts on best reasonably prices?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's the Hamiltion perfection sleeves mentioned them earlier, found them excellent.

Competitor cheaper for them.

20. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Wooster Pro Doo-z Roller lasts forever if you wash out then run through washing machine. I'm torn between washing or throwing out after one use