Roller shutter garage door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DavidMSmith, Jun 11, 2021.

1. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

I want to replace a tatty "up and over" garage door with a roller shutter door. Done lots of research and chosen a supplier. It's going to be a DIY job. The installation will be internal face fix.
    I've had a look at some neighbours' installations and there seems to be 2 ways of locating the side guides
    (a) the edge of the guide is fitted flush with the back edge corner of the masonry reveal or
    (b) the guide is inset ~25mm back from the corner of the reveal.
    Does anyone have experience of fitting this type of door and able to comment on the advantages or disadvantages of the 2 options.
    It doesn't seem to make any difference from the aesthetic viewpoint from outside.
    Maybe it's advantageous to inset it slightly so that the fixing points into the masonry are further away from the edge of the masonry and less likely to fracture the masonry (in my case dense concrete block) when the fastener is tightened.
    Obviously I need to decide before ordering as the door is made to measure!
    Any help much appreciated!

2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Make shutter outside fix allow 100 mm each side and allow 400 mm in height this way you have a clear opening. Normal fixings would be through bolts