Ronseal 2 part wood filler going off too quickly

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Aug 24, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Bought this stuff from Screwfix two years back in 2019:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-...VSertCh2LgA6pEAQYASABEgLcm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Was stored in shed unopened until now and tin must have been upside down as a brown/orange oil started leaking out from tin.

Anyway cleaned up and started using only recently. It goes off in literally few minutes to a rubbery texture after mixing the two parts and starts to harden so is unusable.

Am I adding too much hardener or has this stuff expired and I should chuck away and get a new tin of wood filler?

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

yes it goes off quickly - but you should have mixed the oil back in. Use less hardener (follow instructions) and mix small batches.

Or buy a new tin :)

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Because the oil oozed out I would think the mixture is now wrong and you need a new tin

4. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Yeah did mix the oil back in, well what was left in tin that had separated from the white. Some had spilled out into bag.
    Its useable to some degree bet literally goes off in a minute or two.

Will try less hardener like a drop amount.

Anyone used the one part wood fillers like one from Everbuild or are two parts always better?

5. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

2 part is better. I find with the older stuff it's a bit more rubbery, you notice the difference when you open a new tin. It's easy to put a bit too much hardener in, always tempting to just put a bit extra in to make sure it hardeners.
    However a pea to golf ball is about right.

DIY_Has123 likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It’s great filler this two part Ronseal and I’ve tried several brands

Find the Ronseal sands down easier than some of the others but other factors seem much of a muchness

The guidance for a pea of hardener to a golf ball of filler is a little vague really as how big is a pea ?? Marrowfat versus Petit Pois :)

I have a theory actually ……. And I’ve tried it although have no evidence I can show

The hardener acts as a catalyst
    The tiniest amount added to the filler will start the hardening process - may take a little longer but, the filler will go off anyway

Certainly adding too much hardener sets the stuff lightening fast

A new tin you get around 10 mins working time, this decreases with an older tin as I guess, frequent opening allows air in, stuff to evaporate, chemical changes, dunno, but, certainly less open time with an older, used tin

I hear that your tin is old but unopened but, it’s old so something may have changed chemically - even though sealed

Avoid contamination of the tin with hardened filler, most usual way is using the plastic spreader back into the tin without fully cleaning it or, mixing a fresh batch on top of a previous mix

Also find if your mixing on an absorbent surface, paper, wood, etc, this can also reduce workable time of filler

Even with a fresh tin, mix small quantities at a time, work fast, be ready to fill as soon as mixed, don’t mix then go for a dump :eek:, have everything you need ready to hand

Try a small mix, smaller amount of hardener,clean scraper, and mix on a non absorbent surface

If really unusable, will have to scrap and buy new - seems a waste but not much you can do about that

7. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

I've always found that to be a reasonable guide for a beginner. How else can you tell someone who has never used it before. Most people will think of a garden pea size or similar. They can always adjust the amounts as required.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Relax mate ….. I’m having a laugh :)

Good job that golf balls are a regulation size though innit :D

9. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

So am I.

10. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Can this filler be used on external painted wood?

11. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Yes, I used loads of it on my windows. Probably more filler than wood now.

12. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Thanks for that!

13. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

If the surface is going to be painted - tbh you can't go wrong with Isopon P38 from Halfords.