Roof attic airflow / draught acceptable?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by novice_builder123, Aug 17, 2022.

1. novice_builder123

novice_builder123 New Member

I've just put in a new ceiling with Vapor barrier and insulation. This has a small attic to shove some boxes in for storage, more like a crawl space.

Its very windy today 40mph gusts and I can feel a small draught of cold air in the attic from the direction the wind is coming from (south westerly).

The roof has a breathable membrane fabric (Klober Permo NG) under the tiles and has fascia plastic around it to deflect most wind.

So is it fine to have this small draught inside the roof space or should I be cracking out and going wild with my foam gun and stopping any air coming in?

2. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

The main insulation for your living space should be directly above the ceiling. Often this consists of fibreglass or rock wool battens laid between the ceiling joists. There are also raid foam panels that can be used in tight spaces.

Generally speaking you want a certain amount of airflow in your attic or loft space. There typically will be vents in the soffits under the eaves to allow air to enter (and exit) the attic. Soffits and other vents are typically designed so that rain water cannot get in - although you have to be careful if pressure-washing the gutters and roofline fascia not to direct spray towards those vents.

The slight breeze in your attic is a good thing. Preventing the buildup of condensation, which can lead to wood rot and mould.