Roof bars on a transit van?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by dvddvd, Jul 14, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Active Member

Hi looking to buy some roof bars to carry ladders and maybe long lengths of wood on top of a transit low roof SWB van.

Can I get away with 2 roof bars or is 3 bars better when loading ladders etc

Also I see some with a roller loading section that sticks out is this needed on a low roof van? Can the rear bar be positioned far back so as not to scratch top of doors at rear when loading?

Any suggestions around £150 ? I see lots on eBay around that price with roller section..thanks

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Active Member

Hi I saw them, also Van- guard Ulti bars?

Is 3 bars better on a SWB or can you get away with 2 ? What about the rear roller?
    Thanks

4. fillyboy

I had two bars on a swb ****** which was more than sufficient, never had a rear roller but it sounds like an excellent idea.

5. fillyboy

My previous post appears to have been automatically edited. I suspect my abbreviation of the word Transit to a word associated with a gentleman who likes to dress as a lady may have been the cause, apologies.

Jord86 likes this.
  6. dvddvd

dvddvd Active Member

I normally put ladder onto back bars, reposition myself and then push onto van.

My Berlingo was all scraped on top of doors and roof with doing this over years.

I assume with the extra height of a Transit it would do it more? Seems the roller part sticks out over edge of rear roof so no chance of scraping

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Active Member

Thanks I think I'll try 2 bars and roller to start with. Just wondering when you push a ladder on if it will easily reach front bar before the angle becomes to much?

8. Danny Greenwood

Danny Greenwood New Member