Roof Dryer Venting

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FrostyTheSnowMan, Oct 2, 2015.

1. FrostyTheSnowMan

FrostyTheSnowMan New Member

Hi,

I have a room in roof conversion with PIR board and superquilt inmsulation. We have literally no room downstairs for a dryer so I am looking at having it in the loft venting through the roof. The house is old construction so we have no Eaves to vent through. Can anyone see any potential problems with this and recommend any style of roof vent to match the slate roof?

I have seen this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slate-Venti...43777100&sr=1-4&keywords=vent#customerReviews

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get condensing dryers that don't need venting.

I think you have problems venting through roof, there won't been enough pressure to vent, (unlike a cooker hood) moisture will condensate & you get mould in the pipe work.
    What rectangular ducting coming out at the eaves, you get round adapdators, so their no promblem connecting to dryer.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  3. FrostyTheSnowMan

The venting will run horizontal out of the roof not up through the roof, the dryer will sit in the loft space and I would run the ducting from the back straight out. As I said above the construction of the house is such that we don't have eaves.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

We recently bought a Whirlpool condensing tumble drier was delighted to find as standard it has a drain facility so you don't need to keep emptying the reservoir. The drain pipe is quite narrow less than 12 mm so you could get that through to the outside and feed it into a gutter or down pipe.

We used to have a vented American tumble drier and it produced and enormous amount of "lint" every couple of months I had to clean (Via a gate in the pipe) the extractor pipes to reduce the risk of fire. If you are going to put a vented on in I would recommend putting in a filter or gate

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sorry, didn't spot 'the no eaves' bit.:oops:

Can't see any problem with that vent.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Apart from it isn't designed to take the heat from a tumble dryer ..... it may be ok if the tumble dryer vent temperature is not too hot. What not "too hot" is I have no idea but these vents take outside temperature of 30-40 degrees

7. FrostyTheSnowMan

Would a metal vent be better?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Exhaust temperature from a tumble dryer goes from 60 to around 100 degrees.

I am old and leathery and it would cook me :)