Roof truss repair advice needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pal123, Jul 11, 2020.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

Originally, when the loft was constructed, the high humidity and low airflow in the loft caused condensation and a lot of damp.

After a lot of ventilation methods were put in the loft dried out. And when this happened 2 the struts, which were likely installed when warped, unwarped and moved out of position by 1-2cm. The drive links showing the photos are below:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZS8oAkZDiqo3lF9nBLJMPcP2SXxdX0ITpy7

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZf8oAkZO7gClYRUqxYLCuxIfhtQr56r8x9V

Both struts now are aligned with their supports below, so technically they are where they are supposed to be. I have hammered the nail fixing into place as much as I can now and the struts will not move.

I need some sort of bracket to reinforce the strut where they are now. Any advice please? Thanks

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I would screw a piece of 90 x 45 or similar, each side of the present holding strip, from the truss to the rafter, that will pull it into line.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

I'd whack with a lump hammer and realign it

4. pal123

pal123 Member

Severntrent: I've whacked it with a claw hammer - no effect. It's in alignment with the wood below.

5. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Member

You need to realign it, if hitting it won't work then I would clamp timber either side and try some biggish G cramps or something like a high lift jack
    Once aligned glue and screw ply gussets either side.

Jord86 likes this.
  6. Severntrent

Claw hammers are for knocking pointed nails in or cracki nuts, lump hammers are for moving things

ginger tuffs likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You'll need an engineers vice or cast G clamp and either a socket wrench or steel tube to increase the torque and pull the two surfaces flush, then reinforce it with ply gusset plates as Frutbunn suggested. Mullering it with a hammer will do little but destroy it and give you earache.

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

There's something really odd going on if that won't line up with a big g clamp. I would avoid the big hammer for fear of dislodging tiles

The joint you show is in compression so no great worry here but what about all the other joints? I would check them very carefully.

9. pal123

pal123 Member

What are ply gussets? Never heard of those before.

10. pal123

pal123 Member

Is 90x45 a bracket or a piece of wood?

11. Severntrent

Piece of wood, have you knocked it back in line yet or are you still procuring vices,g clamps, sockets,tubes and gusset plates

12. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Member

Severntrent likes this.
  13. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Member

I just did this on my dads garden shed trusses as the joint between the upright wall frame and truss were splitting. Mind you its lasted well it pre dates WW2.

14. pal123

pal123 Member

15. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That'll split: use 18mm ply 300 square (ish) as others have told you.

16. pal123

pal123 Member

Can you post a weblink to a ply gusset product that I can buy? Thanks

17. pal123

pal123 Member

18. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Member

You won't get one pre cut but its only a piece of ply any builders merchant could sort you a piece out and its a simple job to cut, The sort of size you need are just off cuts that get thrown away.

19. pal123

pal123 Member

I think I understand.

Do you mean using 18mm plyboard (for example at weblink: https://www.diy.com/departments/smooth-hardwood-plywood-board-l-2-44m-w-1-22m-t-18mm/1696280_BQ.prd). Then cut to size 300mm x 300mm. Then use nails to nail this piece of plyboard through the 2 pieces of wood (both strut compression support and strut, as per photo)? Thanks

20. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Screws would be better, Drill a clearance hole through the ply so they pull up tight.