Roofer just done my bonding gutter. Issues?

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Shane-tj, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Shane-tj

Shane-tj New Member

I have recently purchased a semi detached property and the previous owner had the roof changed from slate to tiles, in the process of doing this they have not had a bonding gutter put in between the two houses.

I have got a roofer in to do the job, the job has now been done but I can still see daylight through the tiles where the two houses meet. This doesn’t seem right to me. If I can see out surely rain can get in?

I’m no roofer, but I’ve had a look online at people doing the job, and the type of gutter he has purchased was the traditional wet bonding gutter as shown below, but hasn’t got a bed of mortar or anything for the tiles to lay on in the middle section. is the mortar needed? I feel like if he had the valley version this would of been fine and had no gap.
    1FB33CA9-F65C-4D11-839F-B0AABEC97D0F.png 734960D1-B046-41BE-B94C-8402E426DA59.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Seeing light doesn't necessarily mean the roof will leak, especially if viewed from the side of the gutter, though I understand the concern. You are supposed to use mortar in conjunction with mechanically fixing the slates/tiles but I've seen roofers fit them without (including on my own house) and no problems heard of or discovered. It depends if you want to call the guy back to insist on mortar being used or if you want to wait and see if any issues arise.

3. Shane-tj

Shane-tj New Member

Thanks for your reply, I did contact the roofer about my concern with being able to see day light, he replied saying it was correctly done and he doesn’t know why I could see day light, I showed him the pictures and he immediately phoned me , jumped on the defensive side and got rather angry with the simple question which also added more concern. I mean the likely hood of rain getting in is very slim, just doesn’t seem right being able to see that gap. Surely the valley type gutter would of fixed this issue as show below.

Attached Files: