Roofers Guarantee won't cover leak damage

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by johnw6761, Dec 20, 2018.

1. johnw6761

johnw6761 New Member

Hi

I had my roof completely replaced 5 years ago at a cost of about 25k. It came with a 10 year guarantee and it must have had a slow leak because I noticed a patch of mould on my ceiling. My ceilings are papered which has made the leak difficult to spot and when I took the paper back the mould was across a large area so obviously being going on a while.

I called the roofer who came to fix the roof but refused to cover any cost of the damage or repair. My point of view is the work wasn't obviously done correctly and this has resulted in damage which I am now going to have to pay to repair. The guarantee seems almost pointless as the main cost isn't repairing the roof, its the damage that the leak has caused which if the job had been done properly wouldn't have happened.

His argument was its obviously been going on a long time and I should have noticed sooner and if I had the damage would be nowhere near as bad and easy to repair, so because I didnt notice and the damage is now quite bad he is refusing to cover any costs.

Would like to get other peoples thoughts on this? Anyone had a similar situation?

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I would have taken it as read that the guarantee was on workmanship only and not consequential damage.
    You also can't say for sure that the workmanship was sound and the damage was caused by stormy weather in between the roof being fitted and the damage being noticed.

You could try and make a claim on your home insurance and if they think the roofer is liable will probably pursue him to cover their costs.

3. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Also, was there an underwriter for the 10 year guarantee or is that just an informal arrangement with the roofer?
    e..g if he was hit by a bus after the first year would there still be someone to fix it under guarantee?

4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

John, I would - like you - have assumed that you'd be ok for at least 10 years. Like most of these thing, tho', when you actually have a problem, you learn the 'limitations'...

F-C talks sense. You'd need to be able to show that it was a fault with their work. I mean, should the be held liable for extreme conditions?

Bottom line - contact your insurance and tell them everything - then it's up to them. Do you have Legal protection on your policy? If so - cool. Call them up first...

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Just be cautious about calling your insurance company about this - once you tell them about this, then you have a "stain" on your policy, irrespective whether you claim or not it may affect your renewal premium. Just be aware if you're thinking about sorting this mess out yourself.

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  6. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

Surely this isn't a huge job to sort out? I am only a DIYer and managed to replace a section of ceiling myself. It took me a lot lot longer than a plaster would have done it but unless I am missing something I can't see this repair job costing much more than the excess on the insurance anyway.

rogerk101 likes this.