roofing birds mouth

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MAD DOGS, Feb 11, 2010.

1. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

i have had a a report on the house and it has been picked up that i have no birds mouth on my roof trusses. The council says that i need to pack them out. could anyone explain so i can under stand a builders quote etc. regards, mat

2. jenros

jenros New Member

hi,
    you dont need a birds mouth on a trussed roof,only on a cut roof.
    you need to go back to the council to clarify exactly what they mean.
    who has done the report?why did you need to have this done?is this in a dispute with a builder or something?

3. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

Hello thank you for your reply. we are selling our house so this came up on the home buyers repory. The house is a 1930's semi with traditional roof timbers. This is nothing to do with a dispute. I just need to understand what is required to get this sorted. Regards Mat

4. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

You don't have trusses!

Not sure why the council is involved?

This sounds like the sort of nonsense a surveyor comes up with.

If you house has managed 80years with the roof as it is - then it doesn't need anything doing to it now.

5. ­

­ New Member

So it's been ok since the 1930s but suddenly some idiot surveyor thinks you need to pack out between the plate and the rafter underside.

The man's a fool!

(Unless the roof is showing problems?)

6. ­

­ New Member

Hey, beat me to it :^O

7. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

it is the timbers that are sat on the purlins & wall plate there are no birds mouth on the wall plate area & the wall plate has no restraint straps

8. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

If it is contemporary with the house and not an alteration and there is no significant sagging/slippage whatever - then tell the 'surveyor' to qualify his report or you will sue his fat **. Building standards change - they are not retrospective.

9. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

this part of the roof is a rear extension that was already on when we bought it two years ago

10. Mr GrimNasty

So are you saying in has no Building Regs. approval and you bought it like that? Is that why the council are involved because you are trying to get a retrospective certificate to enable the sale?

11. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

no it has full building regs but the council are involved because this was'nt pucked up on the inspections when the extension was built

12. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

I just need to know what is required to fix this problem so I can sell my house before I put pencils up my nose and start to say ''wibble wibble''

13. Mr GrimNasty

Well it wouldn't be difficult/that expensive to sort just a bit disruptive to the decor & possibly roof.

Not sure, but truss clips might suffice instead of whatever 'packing' council has in mind.

Restraint straps again easy enough - just an L shaped bit of steel over wall plate and down wall face (under plaster)!

ScreFix sell both.

14. inkpad

inkpad New Member

So did you buy the house without a completion certificate for the extension? Your solicitor should have identified if there was an open building regulations application registered for your house

Birds mouths and restraint straps are standard practice for the competent builder. the straps would be relatively easy to fit but the birdsmouths would leave alot of beakless chickens hungry ;), but thats ok cos you'll need all that spare corn to pay for a new roof

Best to get a structural engineer in to see if he can design a fix

15. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

yes the house was bought with a completin certificate that why council are now involved.Surely if the wall plate is strapped, there must be some kind of roofing clips or plates that will secure the timbers in place '' wibble wibble''

16. Mr GrimNasty

Yes truss clips possibly.

Your roof timbers are probably nailed/screwed directly to the wall plate at the moment.

17. MAD DOGS

MAD DOGS New Member

cheers mate the pencils are out of my nose now and talking normal again . Take care Mr grimm nasty

18. manassa

manassa New Member

There is no building reg that says a rafter has to have a birdsmouth,plenty old roofs don,t.

19. paravion

paravion New Member

yes we see this regualarly on converted agricultural building the rafter feet sit on top of the plate. ie no overhang no soffit. use the right sized and type of truss clips slid from inside towards the eves and fixed. this will stop any spread in the rafters. providing the plate is correctly fixed. sounds like you need to do this too, not a big job. all bits you need are available on here. good luck.