Roofing Q - What's this ridge tile called?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BikerChris, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Hi all,

Stupid question probably, but what is the tile called that's at the very top? So if you had a square building and a hip on all corners, the top most bit would come to a point, what's the tile called that makes that point? Hopefully I have attached a pic that shows a red circle around it.

Cheers,
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

You can buy a ridge hip junction or mitre the ridge and hip tiles.

BikerChris and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some also call them Y ridge junction, or junction piece ridge tile, just depends where you come from.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    BikerChris and stuart44 like this.
  4. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Are those in your back garden waiting for a job KIAB?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly no.

Have had a good clear out here,just three, maybe four more jobs in garden to do & mixer will be going,that's it,calling it a day.:)

6. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Hip Junction / Mitred ridge, perfect thank you mate!

7. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Junction pieces definitely sound on the right track - thanks mate!

This is all to do with a friend who's having an extension that will be like this (ish!). I'm just having trouble with imagining how the 'point' at the top will be finished. Ahh, may be lead eh?

Sorry for the rubbish sketch

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
  8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You certainly don't want a Y ridge junction tile there.
    If you can't get an X ridge junction tile to match the rest of the ridge tiles, you'll have to make a junction with 4 ridge tiles each with a male V cut onto one end.
    I would use some lead or DPM or flashband first to make the apex of the roof watertight.
    I would then use a big blob of mortar on the apex such that the mortar is supporting all four ridge tiles and such that they meet at a single point at the apex.
    You then need a mortar with coloured sand or tint to match the tiles and do a good job of grouting the gap to make a nice smooth finish. If you're really good with your ridge tile cutting, and manage to get all four pieces to meet without big gaps, you could use some roofers mastic to seal the gap rather than the coloured mortar.
    Good luck with it.
    If you do it well, it'll become your masterpiece!

BikerChris likes this.
  9. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Roger, you are indeed the man. Not trying to kiss A, but thank you so much, especially for the detail. As you can imagine, it's a rare detail and you've just fully explained how to do it. If there was a 'buy a pint' button on here somewhere, I'd even press it twice!

Helpful, cheers very very much, if it goes well, I'll have to give credit to you!

10. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

If it's a pyramid roof you can get a finial for the top.

BikerChris likes this.
  11. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

I had thought about that, but we've got a height issue with Planning. :( Good call though!

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could understanding planning, if several metres or more, but a finial isn't adding that much more height,around 400mm, compared say to a weather vane.

And you can get a 4 way ridge junction tile.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    BikerChris likes this.
  13. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

It isn't much extra, you're right, unfortunately they live in a sensitive area - same kind of area that has neighbours 'telling' on people that have decking 400mm higher than ground level, which needs planning. Stupid area!

14. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Don't tell me you have a pallet load of them in your back garden KIAB;)

BikerChris likes this.