Roofing scam – need advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paul_1990, Mar 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Paul_1990

Paul_1990 New Member

Hi, my name is Alex and I am looking for advice. I have serious suspicions that my husband has been scammed by the roofing company. We originally asked them to put the new felt and new battons under small section of the roof (3 rows of tiles), which got leaks and where the battons were rotten and felt was damp and would break easily plus to install roof caps and clean the roof of the moss and build up dirt (all summed up initially to around £900 together). They showed up the next day, came up the roof and told us that the just discovered that the valley had serious leaks too and the structural timber needs to be replaced now or else there will be further structural damage and everything will be much more expensive. They managed to scared us both a lot (this is an old house, which we only bought in 2019) and they said it is going to cost us now £4000, which we manage to bring down to £3500. The day after they finished the job my husband asked them to send him details of the job carried out and this is what they sent him (the quote was essentially verbal):

“Lifted off the first section of tiles on the back roof put new felt and new battons removed all the rotten timber underneath the valley replace it with a new structural timber put new ridge pointing down the valley and on the ridge tiles replaced to new tiles inspected all of the roof the roof is in good condition we give a 10 year guarantee that no water will go to true your roof and you will have no leaks if you do have any problems contact straightaway”

There was no contract and we clearly were put under pressure of making the decision straight away. I know there were many red flags, but still we fell for it. I feel I have been scammed, can you please advise me how much this job should really cost? My husband will call citizen advise bureau tomorrow, but if there is anything else we can do, please let me know. Unfortunately, the money has been paid, which makes it even more complicated.

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Are you able to access the loft? If so can you post some pictures here from the inside so we can see what structural timbers have been replaced. It should be pretty easy to tell new from old timbre. Also some pics from outside of the area where work has taken place. Did they scaffold ? As I am wondering how structural timber was hoisted to roof height.

Astramax likes this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Oh dear oh dear....

4. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Sounds like you've been had by the con merchants that we're not allowed to talk about...

Jiml86 and Johnik like this.
  5. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Damn, maybe Bobby is right :eek:

Jord86 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

To be brutally honest. Whether you have been ripped off or not, that boat has sailed. Digging further into it isn’t going to enable you to recover an money or anything like that. They best you’ll achieve is to work out whether the job is done to a reasonable standard or not

Severntrent likes this.
  7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

That’s exactly why I asked for photos. At least we can assess if the work has been done to a level that’s safe from a structural level and secondly it’s weather tight and not cause further issues. A call to trading standards could potentially help others.

8. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

When you know you know!

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Message to @Jord86
    I'll bet you're just as confused as me for having your post deleted. The ink was still wet on mine.

10. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Mines just gone too...

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yep, just posted a thread asking why, silly isn't it?

koolpc and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.