Roofing work - opinion please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by abedegno, Sep 20, 2019.

1. abedegno

abedegno New Member

Just employed a roofer to do some remedial work on my house, everything looks okay IMHOI except the rubber membrane he used to replace some lead flashing.

Am being picky with this:
    40185fc7-1cc8-4cb8-9cc3-577ecebb51a7.JPG
    abe20a75-a6fc-4533-8191-4256221296d0.JPG

Also, there's purple glued dried to the fascia, I can only assume this was used to glue the rubber down:
    8be72934-9d40-48db-8002-7c756d7bca7c.JPG

Thoughts please, do I need to go back to them?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think you already know the answer.

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Well I guess it depends on what you paid for. Looks like the rubber was laid on the existing roofing material rather than new substrate laid. If that’s what you agree, that’s what I think you have got.

Purple glue is sloppy: looks like spray glue to me which has no place in rubber roofing...

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So he has used pond liner :)

The purple glue is used to bond pond liners.

5. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

They've made a mess of the uPVC cladding, not just the glue but cracked edges and visible nailheads.

The rubber seems to be continuous one piece with a decent upstand so probably won't leak, that's the plus point. The bit where it meets the tiles might be iffy, could water track laterally under the tiles?

The problem is that they've not stripped the old felt roof, hence the patchy look. You've a ripple/ridge along the edge where the water is supposed to flow into the gutter. The result is that water will pond and you'll get moss forming.

Call them back. A roof should drain the water. Either redo (if you trust them) or refund. Also contact trading standards.