Rotten floor joist ends ground floor above cellar

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Victorianendterrace, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Victorianendterrace

Victorianendterrace New Member

Hi I have a Victorian house the previous owner put raised block paving in rotting cutting off air to cellar as blocked air brick. I have lifted paving. Internally the cellar was dru linned which has made air flow worse and the joist ends that sit in the wall at the front of the property have all rotted as water has perished mortar. I don't know whats best to repair, bringing up the whole floor above would not be ideal. What would I need for sistering? The floor joists are the original imperial 7 X 2 inch size?

2. Victorianendterrace

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't even consider sistering those rotten joists,too far gone, rip the lot out & replace them.
    And spray all new timber with Everbuild triple action wood preserver.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Victorianendterrace

Thanks KIAB they are only rotten on the ends by a foot or so?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A foot or so! so around a total of 3' of the whole length in total..............what percentage does that add up to 30% to 40% of the beam length.

6. Victorianendterrace

Sorry the 7 X 2 was height and depth the joists are over 4 metres long it's rotted by a foot on the end of each 4 metre lenght joist where the wood went into the wall pocket

7. Victorianendterrace

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Could you not just prop them up from below in the basement/crawl-space? (Of course using appropriate damp proof coarse.)

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Bolt a plate on to celler wall, sister existing joists sitting new ends on plate, plate could be a U-Beam steel and cap new joists in plastic cap ends to stop any future rot.

Astramax likes this.
  10. Victorianendterrace

Thanks for feedback sorry not completely with you could you give me links to the products required? Thanks

11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

flange.png

U- Beam.

100310-300x300.jpg

Joist end caps

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Access is going to be a problem, great idea though. ;)

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Exactly.

14. Victorianendterrace

The cellar is below so free access below to stand in?

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

There you go, just what the op requires. The simplest is always the best.;):)

17. Victorianendterrace

I ve looked at these plates and actuslly got some but just concerned they will mess up floor line as lip sits on base of joist that would sit in wall thus raising it slightly?

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you have a Victorian house, I doubt whether much of it is plumb and level and the few mm of thickness that plates will add will not be noticeable and may even level the floor.

19. Victorianendterrace

Hi I ve had the joists sistered now, what should I put around the joists in the holes looks like they just had mortar around them before?

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

how big a gap do you have around the joists ?