Rotten floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sam9696, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Sam9696

Sam9696 New Member

Hi all basically we are having full bathroom done. Just moved into the house once I got under the bath I noticed some of the sub floor (chipboard) was rotten so I took it up the joists are fine but the next joist is under the wall? So not sure how the new floorboard will rest? Or how to add new supports?

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

D4 pva... Glue and screw timer to the joist under the wall 40mm ish down from floor level. Notch timber so it rests on the timber. Fit a few then add cross timber. You will have to work around and maybe notch out for pipes but something like this IMG_20200918_193816.jpg

I'd pva and stick plasterboard over the top of that exposed ceiling. Bit of water got on that. Just stick on with plaster or tile adhesives. Anything that will stick plasterboard. I use cove or board adhesive sometimes...

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What's the other side of the stud wall ,bedroom ?
    Can you not expose the joist in there ,and run new chipboard from bathroom to that joist ?

4. Sam9696

Sam9696 New Member

It is the bedroom but it would involve taking the skirting off/carpet up plus patching the wall which if can be helped not to do I’d rather not. It’s just looking like that would be the only way to get to the joist under the wall

5. Sam9696

Sam9696 New Member

Right thanks for that really appreciate that. What would be the best glue for this? I have some sticks like ****? And yes looks like it has leaked in onto the plasterboard in the past. I will cover it probably with some Aquapanel and some adhesive. Or would it be worth tanking it?

this wood where I am pointing too along the bottom of the partition is also rotted would I need to cut this off and fix from top down? And glue?

Attached Files:

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I doubt the skirting would need to be removed to slide chipboard under the stud wall,and sit it on the bedroom joist ( that joist is in good condition I assume ). You would of course need to cut out a section of chipboard flooring in bedroom .
    The timber in your pic above is the sole plate of the stud wall ,and not so easy to remove. The vertical timbers are stitched to that sole plate ,and the plasterboard on the bedroom side is screwed or nailed to it , possibly the skirting also. Not impossible to remove it ,but quite tricky.

7. Settlewell

Settlewell New Member

That wall was sat on the board. It’s needs supporting again. Glue and screw a 2” timber the thickness of a 4” joist below the flooring From the top of the joist down to each joist. Use 3” Screws and proper wood glue. You can the cut 4” noggings to fit between the joists that will support the new floor and wall, that sit on the 2x2batten. Screw timber to the ends of the boards to carry the joint of the next one. I’d treat the joist too if while it’s exposed if water has affected them. You should be able to do all this from the bathroom side.

Sam9696 likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I dig out the rotting timber then apply some clear wood preserver. You can also use wood hardener as that's the stuff the glue will stick to. If it's bad then fix another joist along side and work off that. D4 pva is waterproof and sticks well but will have screws holding so not going anywhere. I'm never keen on taking up floors in another room creating more work and potential problems.

Sam9696 likes this.