Rough price fitting new worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Guru86, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Guru86

Guru86 New Member

Good morning

Currently renovating the kitchen and wife has decided she wants new worktop. She has seen a oak worktop from ikea.

I am just looking at a rough price for fitting to see if it is worth it or not. We live in north east of England. Job would involve removing old worktops, putting 2 worktops in one is 207cm long and the second is 235cm long - this one would need the sink cutting out.

Thanks in advance just don't want to waste someone's time coming out if going to be too much.

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Are they connected?
    Do they need reduced in depth (IKEA worktops are deeper than others)
    I would imagine around £200-250 if both of the above, if not a bit less

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A day's work for a good carpenter or decent kitchen fitter, so depending on north east rates between £150- £250 I'd imagine. That would be for what you described, not including oiling the work tops though.

4. Guru86

Guru86 New Member

Thanks I'm happy enough oiling them. I have measured the depth and height a d about there for what we all ready have so don't think they would need adjusting

5. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

i think you need to replaceworktop before fitting splash backs as in your other post it gives you more room to adjust worktop you are looking at a days labour £150 to £250

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Easy day’s work. £200 here would be a nice Saturday job. Reckon a bit less your way & pay in cash. Just make sure you use a kitchen fitter / worktop installer.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If worktops are raw and untreated, good to start oiling them before fitted

Most people don’t bother but good to oil both sides, not as easy once fitted

Finished side will need more coats than underside but good to get a couple of coats on underneath before fitted

Look at Osmo Top Oil range, it’s superb

KIAB and metrokitchens like this.
  8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Last ‘oak’ IKEA tops I installed were chipboard with a 5mm veneer. Looked good enough once installed.

barbaricduck likes this.
  9. Guru86

Guru86 New Member

Thanks for advice I will get a few quotes

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As others have said, a days work for one person, so at least £250. If you wanted me to come from the Midlands to do it though.....................it would defo be more than £250 :D

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

£500 for me, but I'll pay kitfit1 £300 to do the job, everyone's a winner :D

kitfit1 likes this.
  12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The price just went up CGN :D Amazing the amount of inflation there is nowdays :)

CGN likes this.
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

In the NE someone will do it cheaper than that, might get away with a Parmo and a couple of pints. :p:p

KIAB, Jord86 and CGN like this.
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah, but then the guy'll be back on here asking how to sort out the cuts, as John from the pub's chainsaw was a bit blunt and the writing on the tops are on the surface........

KIAB and chippie244 like this.
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Your getting more and more cynical about the motives of people posting on here :D

KIAB and Jord86 like this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I know, I was a mere innocent lad when I joined a couple years ago, now evolved into a hard faced,weathered veteran. Or just a miserable twot.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It gets you used to idiot clients though :)

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've found that my tolerance for penny pinchers and halfwits that know best has all but gone, fair enough if people genuinely don't know or are oblivious to things, no ones expected to be knowledgeable in areas they're not familiar with but when someone starts arguing the toss how to do the job because their 89 year old father told them "we always did it this way when I were a lad", or "HOW MUCH?!" etc, then that's me out the door.

KIAB and chippie244 like this.
  19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have that a lot with the old boy carpenter that lives two doors down from me. He keeps on trying to tell me and others how to do things based on what he did 30 years ago. He convinced the neighbour 3 doors down that he could do an attic conversion better and cheaper than a current trades guy. It was a disaster, not enough head room, condensation, dodgy wiring. 75% of it had to be ripped out and refitted. Same as when he moaned that I had used 6x2 for my workshop roof rather than 3x2 when I explained about span and loading - when he used to do things .........

20. Guru86

Guru86 New Member

Well don't know know where that came from.....was just asking for a rough idea of prices so I don't waste the traders time coming out and quoting if too much.

But thanks