Rough Price

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pikerray, May 2, 2009.

1. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

I live in glorious Essex and about to get a couple of quotes to fit 16 x American Oak door linings, architraves and Internal Doors which will include all door furniture.

I will expect all door lining fixings to be covered over in Oak pellets and finished off so no screws are showing.

What can I expect to pay labour only ?

2. gti

gti New Member

about a grand mate.thats plus for th vat reg lads

3. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

a grand,for 16 door casings,16 doors,and 32 sets of arc.too cheap that.
    2 grand i would say.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Bluddy hell Dirtydoo you've changed your pricing. I thought you'd quote a bag of licorice allsorts and a go on his Chopper ;)

5. Trog

Trog New Member

Yep, a grand is way too cheap. Quoted over a grand to supply and fit 13 4 panel flushdoors including hardware in existing frames.

6. Trog

Trog New Member

2 grand's not too bad but even that seems a little light because it's oak and it has to be left to a damn good finish.

7. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

I can understand that price say a year ago but under the current climate and work hard to find there's no way I would pay a couple of grand!!!

8. dunc

dunc New Member

I would say around 2k. I would want to make sure the linings are going into a decent frame, so there could be extra work getting them right. It might need a mate for handling the doors.

I think I'd probably be looking at two weeks to do it justice. Certainly can't throw it all in in less than a week.

9. kat_1

kat_1 New Member

in this current climate the good ones have got work,my day rate went up last week as it does every april, all depends what type of finish you want, polished hardwood or painted,you'll get what you pay for

10. Trog

Trog New Member

way I would pay a couple of grand!!!

PARASITE !!!

11. Trog

Trog New Member

Pikeray, can I ask what job you do ?

12. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

PARASITE !!!

No not really, why shouldn't I take advantage of the current climate, I'm sure you have, and lets face it tradesman take advantage all the time with young schoolboy labourers because their cheap labour.

Anyway back to the question I would not be paying 2 grand which equates to 125 pounds per casing/door/architrave which a good chippie could do in about 3 hours.

13. Trog

Trog New Member

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

2K sounds a very fair price.

So what job do you do?

15. earl e finish

earl e finish New Member

At £1000 i believe the heading 'Rough Price' might be very apt!

16. earl e finish

earl e finish New Member

£2000 is more realistic mate.

17. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

Just had the first quote through, £1450, think I can get him down a bit, wait and see what the second one comes in at.

18. Piratejoiner

Piratejoiner New Member

You`ll be able to get it cheaper .

Go to your local newsagent and look in the window for handy man service, probably does light removals laminated flooring etc ....just dont moan @ him when he makes an ars3 of it though

pay peanuts get monkeys

19. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

bang on . current climate /cheap price.betcha your oak doors an frames weren't cheap,or did you knock the price down on that as well.
    if you want a quality job go with a recommendation not a cheap price fella.you may end up paying twice to have it done right

20. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

just because he might get someone to do this cheap,it doesn't mean he is going to get a bad job.a good chippy might not have a lot of work on at the moment,could do this in 8 days for lets say £1400 cash.every bodies happy