Rough Skim Coat Costs?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Baron88, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Baron88

Baron88 New Member

Hello everyone!

I’m looking to get an understanding of costs of having a skim coat applied to two rooms (walls and ceilings), any help or advice would be grand!

Both rooms I have recently plasterboarded using tapered edge board (dot and dab for external walls and standard plasterboard fixings for internal stud), sockets have already been cut out and electrics installed. One room is 3.9m by 3.6m with a bay window and the other is 2.8m by 2.1m.

I’m in the Coventry area as a note to location.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

£7.50-£10.00 m2

Baron88 likes this.
  3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

£825 about right for a decent firm.

Baron88 likes this.
  4. Baron88

Baron88 New Member

Thanks Hfs and Metrokitchens, really helps me understand the costs range so I know what to expect.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Two standard sized rooms is probably 2 days for a plasterer at £250 per day PLUS materials. That's what I have paid in the past here in the south east.

FWIW, you didn't need to pay the extra for tapered plasterboard if you're going to be getting the whole surface skimmed. If anything it makes skimming more of a challenge. Tapered plasterboard is for when you don't skim, and just 'spackle' the joints with spackling paste and a spackling knife. You'll know for next time! :D

Hans_25 likes this.
  6. Baron88

Baron88 New Member

That was my original plan of just filling in the tapper, but then i decided that having a skim coat is just that bit more durable as plasterboard is just too easy to dent. I might fill the tapper on the ceilings and when I tackle the bathroom as that will less likely to getting damaged to the likes of a bedroom or living room. But yeah i get your point.

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Same here Mr Spackler :D

8. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Isn't he in Star Trek?..:p