roughly how long to tile 15 square mts

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by plumberstool, Dec 11, 2007.

1. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I have done 15m of 600 x 300mm in a day before, grouted next day. I dot and dabbed all the walls beforehand so they were perfect.

I have also taken 3 or more days doing the same amount. standard walls

A general rule is that you wont get it done in a day, or you will but it'll look a bit rough. Believe me, I pretty much find fault with 90% of tilers work that I see, in fact I can't remember seeing a tiling job recently that was done well.

2. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

i read the post as the wall would be made good and to me made good=perfect as that is how i would make good. And a perfect wall can be tiled quickly and correctly. Its all in the prep like all jobs. If you going trying to lay a large format tile then the walls have to be perfect or it will take 3/4 days to do and it will be a ***** to do.

3. wwwdot

wwwdot New Member

I agree, I too would find fault with 90% of tilers work. The point I'm making is that its possible that some exceptional tilers can do that amount in a day better than others would do in a week or even a month of Sundays. They have a gift for it. Every tile perfectly flat, corners, floors and ceilings all neatly siliconed. uniform grouting, beads mitred accurately etc . Chip off the old block may be very good or he may not, but if you haven't seen his work then accept what he says or at least don't call him a cowboy.

By the way I would never even attempt to tile 600 x 300mm tiles without plasterboarding the walls first.

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I understand your comments WWWdot but I really find it hard to see how it can be done in that amount of time. Let's remember what chip said:-

' If the walls are out 8hrs but flat walls would take 6hrs to lay and 2 to grout.'

So clearly Rapidset is getting used, that in itself slows you down and what about waiting times of 2 to 3 hours between tiling and grouting?? nope, I don't buy it for a second

Maybe I'm not experienced enough to pass comment on this as I've only been in the trade for 16 years, I think it's time to hand this subject over to the 20 + years in the trade guys

5. wwwdot

wwwdot New Member

So clearly Rapidset is getting used, that in itself
    slows you down and what about waiting times of 2 to 3
    hours between tiling and grouting?? nope, I don't buy
    it for a second

Chip originally said 2 hours to grout it the next day.

6. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

chip laid his head on the block by been the "man" now he has to face his words.

Fast is only good if it is quality! I would rather take a longer time to do a job and get it spot on. Not only does it look spot on but then your customer knows that you take pride in your work and will pass you on to his friends and familly.

Its no good your customers thinking after theyve paid **** me he was only here 2 half days and charged us that.

7. chip off the block

it doesnt matter how much you charge someone in relation to how long you take as long as the job is right. If i paid £500 for something to happen in a day i would be just as happy as if it had taken 5 day as long as the end result is the same.

8. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

ok point taken but i do think if you blaze into someones house and slop adhesive everywhere (lets face it with your quoted time scales you cant be the tidiest worker in the world) and your there for 1 day in total.....I would pay you if the job was right but i wouldnt have you back again. I would probably opt for the tiler that takes his time and gets everything right.

just my view anyway.

By the way, merry * christmas

[Edited by: admin5]

9. I would have costed it out at 3 - 4 days, might have made me expensive but I was never short of work.

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Sometimes I take an hour just to work out the tiling layout, liasing with the customer on the pros and cons of various layouts.

11. 4skin McScrotum

4skin McScrotum New Member

I'm with bathstyle, setting out is the most important part of any tiling job,& should be carried out with great care & should not be rushed. The rest is just repetition

12. chip off the block

as far as sorting best layouts etc that should be all agreed befor you start the job

13. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Of course it's done before you start the job, but 95% of the time be done on the morning before you start tiling, therefore cutting into the actual tiling time.

14. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

bathstyles right man....if you work it out when you do the quote then fair enuff but 99% of it is done the morning you start.

im sorry to say it but your a cowboy fek that gives us decent blokes who take their time to make summit special a bad name.

merry xmas!