Router bit

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chekhov, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

I've just made a door out of 100x 15mm t&g and 30x30mm rebated timber to frame it. Having glued it all together I decided to run the router round the inside edge of the rebate with one of those "self guiding" bits. However I couldn't get the right depth because there was an allen screw on the bottom of the router bit snagging on the t&g. The router bit came with an allen key so I used it remove the allen screw and it worked perfectly. So, my question is; what is the point of the allen screw?

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

to hold the bearing onto the router bit.

i think your experience was just pure fluke luck OR the bearing is rusted onto the cutter

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

look at it another way ;)
    why bother with wheel nuts on your car

big all

4. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

I guess I must be just lucky. It was a brand new bit so it certainly wasn't rusted. However what is the point of supplying an allen key to remove the allen screw if it's not meant to be removed?

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

same with buiscut cutters for roughters
    that should be routers

7. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Thanks Big Al. I didn't know that. As you have probably gathered from my previous posts I've been "around the block" but my experience with routers is a new one. I'm not too old to learn though. Thanks for your help.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The bearings do wear out as well.