Router Template Guide Size

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by teeto, Dec 19, 2005.

1. teeto

teeto New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a router, but I'm a bit confused about the sizes stated for template guides, ie I've seen 30mm and 16mm.

Is this the diameter of the bush, or the thickness ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
    Teeto

2. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Welcome teeto!

This will be the external diameter of the bush. For most jigs the diam. 30 is used (mainly 1/2" routers). That being said, you can buy a full range of diameters for various jig work. I have a 30mm bush on my 1/4" router for hinge recesses. I think the diam 16 is used on more complex jigs such as are used for dovetail jointing

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

most commercially produced jigs in this country for 1/2inch routers require 30mm bushes (worktop jigs are a good example)

most commercially produced jigs in this country for 1/4 inch routers require 16mm bushes, (hinge jigs are a good example)

so we dont get too many pedantic posts on this topic, this is only a rule of thumb

trend for instance make jigs requirng various size of guide bushes.

4. teeto

teeto New Member

Thanks fo that - makes sense now.

Didn't want to end up with something that didn't work with anything else !!
    Cheers,

Teeto

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

teeto

you may start with commercially made jigs but if your a serious diyer or a tradesman you will make your own jigs

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

My dovetail jig uses a 7/16" guide bush suppied withthe jig and I also have 16mm & 30mm bushes.
    Someone using the routerforum in USA is constantly poining to his use or a 40mm bush for his template work.
    When making your own templates it's easier to use metric cutters with a metric bush or imperial cutters with imperial bushes when calculating the offset for the template.
    Making a mortice jig for a 1/2" cutter and 30mm bush was a nightmare of calculations. ;)