routers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bodget&scarper, Oct 31, 2003.

1. bodget&scarper

bodget&scarper New Member

hi all wot a brill chat room,my prob is with routers !had a mof 96 for years and never ever let me down, when it just went bang after 10 years i had 2 get a new one. i chose a hitachi m12 v/s but always jammed and would seldom take cutter out of work. i then brought a draper expert 110volt 1/4 " which has the same problem!they both plung but on release i have 2 wiggle the body 2 get the bit out of the work! i have always kept it clean and well looked after,has any other chippies had the same problem. steve

2. WOLF

WOLF New Member

with a few cheaper brands , either the main strut/s is/are slightly bent or the return spring is binding or not strong enough.. shame about the mof..great bits of kit.. however i have yet to have a problem with my dw625ek 1/2" dewalt...real good bit of kit, so are the trend routers i have in my w/shop.. i know this does not really help you , but a thing i tend to do when looking for new kit for the workshop is to try out a display model, a couple of the shops i buy from have models you can try, and if like most in one shop in particular, they have seen some wood, then they are likely to start showing up any problems..

3. bodget&scarper

hi wolf, wot a brill site,very let down by the big hitachi, it ssould have been the bees knees. now looking in 2 the cmt(the orange one) axminster. same as mof 177 i think

4. WOLF

WOLF New Member

believe it or not but the big cmt router by axminster is actually a dw625E (not ek ) made for the italian company by dewalts manufacturing plant, and as such will take all the standard bushes etc, so most of your mof fittings should actually straight fit..good choice

5. bodget&scarper

hi wolf,tnks 4 router and veeneer probs.i know stacks of places 2 get veneer but going 2 cost 8quid deliverery (been drinking oops) 4 half a leaf!when i got my draper expert 1/4 inch (mof96 clone)the pearless,dewalt,and someother thing were identical, even the decals on moter housing!! anyway been in loft 2 nite fixing up my new screwfix bins 15 per rack ,so 45 bins in total,hoped it would tidy up loft a bit. but still got loads of boxes left:-(