routers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by black n white joiner, Jan 31, 2005.

1. First time on here, so hope i do it right!
    Looking to buy a new router, which will only be used for kitchen worktops.
    Tempted to buy the Freud on sfd but have read good and bad reports!Would appreciate any advice or views! Cheers.

2. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

Plenty of (different) opinions on here if you search - as with most things,you get what you pay for.

Get a half inch one,if it's for worktops;otherwise, spend money proportionate to how much you intend to use it.

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Freud blades are good quality but their 1/2" router is a cheaper option than the real workhorse of kitchen fitters, the DeWalt DW625 which will talke almost anything you can throw at it.
    It also uses the same fittings as the Trend so you will have no trouble finding guide bushes to fit.

4. Accreditor

Accreditor New Member

Follow this link for my thoughts on the Freud:

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=13228&tstart=15

I will stress it is my opinion (perhaps others would argue to the contrary) that the Freud is a very badly finished tool for £164.99 (Draper Expert and Casals 1/2" routers are identical to the Freud). If you buy from Screwfix, chances are you'll get a pre-2004 version (there was a change to the speed control board on 2004 versions). If you buy elsewhere you will probably get an '04 version, but it will come in a plastic case, the case is too small to store the router fully extended so it has to be compressed about 1/3 for storage - not good for the springs.

Me? I'm going to save up the extra pennies and get a Dewalt or Bosch - not that much more cash for properly finished quality tools. If you don't need too much power, but want 1/2" router, don't forget the Ryobi ERT1500V which has had good reviews and can be picked up for a about £100:

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=322645

5. Industry Insider

Industry Insider New Member

Casals are the manufacturer, they make the Freud, Draper etc.

II.

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

freud £165
    Dewalt if you look around £220

£55 more. Dont get the kids a birthday prezzie and get the dewalt!

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

as handyman says but including a worktop cutter

powertoolsuk.co.uk £222

big all

8. panlid

panlid New Member

i got the freud and it does the job though it is a piece of ****. next one for me is dewalt as i have tried it and loved it. mind i hate their drills.

9. Accreditor

Accreditor New Member

SID,

What specific things didn't you like about the Freud?