Routing a slot in sliding door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Bargain Bucket, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket Active Member

I've built an ensuite with a sliding door. I now need to purchase and fit a door but the instructions say to route a 17mm slot in the bottom of the door to accept a guide rail. 17mm seems a risky amount to route in a typical door. Anyone know of any door suppliers that have something that is suitable for such a deep slot?

Many thanks.

2. Considering that the bulk of the strength in even 'hollow' doors is in their skins and end rails, a 17mm route in a slim 35mm door still leaves 9mm each side. I'd have thought that enough.

How deep does the slot have to go, though? I'd check with the door manufacturer that there's no way you are going to go right through the bottom rail in to the void, or else you'd have a seriously weakened door.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If the guide rail fixes into the bottom of the door that would reinforce things somewhat.

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

if it only a guild can you adapt 2 door stops to allow door to slide in bewteen

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is the 17mm depth or width of slot ?

If a hollow door, door framing is often just 20mm (maybe a couple mm more) so cutting 17mm depth isn’t gonna leave much ‘meat’ at base of dear

Can replace bottom frame and replace with deeper timber strip

6. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket Active Member

Sorry for the slow response. The channel needs to be 17mm deep (and 10.3mm wide).