Routing for shower cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by john_____1963, Nov 16, 2019.

1. john_____1963

john_____1963 New Member

Hi,
    My house, when built, was not fitted with a shower. An 8kw shower was fitted sometime before I moved in, with the cable running from the supply (RCD type) through the cavity wall, then clipped outside up to the attic (which looks awful), back through the wall and loose laid in the attic. I'm sure you get the picture.

The house wiring goes into the wall cavity and comes out under the floor in the box bedroom.

The existing shower has been removed and will in due course be replaced with a Mira 10.9Kw which is sitting in the box ready to be fitted.

I understand this will need new 10mm cable and a qualified electrician to fit it.

My question is this. If the new cable could be routed through the wall cavity and into the floor cavity, run under the floor and etc would this be safe?

a) I'm thinking would the cable cause too much heat running so close to the other house wiring whilst in the wall cavity? or if not heat, any other problem with the cables so close?

b) I'm thinking does the cable have to be clipped every metre or so? (in which case I'll lift all the floor boards)

Thanks
    John

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Stop fretting about the cable route, that is what your electrician will work out for you. Along with selecting the appropriate installation method and cable selection.
    Put your efforts into finding a good electrician.

Jord86 likes this.
  3. peter palmer

peter palmer Super Member

Some will say its strictly forbidden to run cables in cavities without any support or protection from rough edges etc but in 30 years of doing electrical work I've never seen a cable even slightly damaged from being in a cavity, that tells me all I need to know personally.

stuartibstock likes this.