Rubi tile saws.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Truckcab79, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Are these worth the money? I’m an occasional tiler. Two or three bathrooms or kitchens a year. Currently use a Rubi Practic 61 and an Erbauer 180mm wet saw fitted with a Rubi blade.

Should I step up to one of these?

https://www.tilegiant.co.uk/rubi-du...ukaYDJ2eXiQ2V_Xx1BjPzrwXbZUQz0NBoCCwIQAvD_BwE

Looks the part but price doesn’t seem expensive enough and I’m worried that its not a big enough step to ‘better’ and I should just stick to what I’ve got. Anyone use one?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckcab79

Almost as important. Just seen they’re got 20% off but only til midnight tonight!

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's a decent price for what should be a good machine. I've often pondered - over the years - about buying one of these type cutters myself but always get put off by the fact that it's just another heavy, cumbersome piece of equipment to lug about that's taking up space.
    I rarely even use a wet cutter these days as much prefer the ease and versatility of an angle grinder with a decent blade.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Rubi are a good make, depends how you look at it I suppose, £319 isn't much for a good tool that gets used three times a year on work that earns you money, then again as Longboat said, you can earn said money without buying it and if ever the need to cut massive porcelain tiles arose then you could just hire a wet cutter anyway and price it into the job.

5. Truckcab79

Think I’m going to go for it. Stopped hiring stuff long ago. Far better to buy. No hanging around waiting for deliveries, finding out they don’t have stock anywhere near you, not turning up etc, and it costs a fortune. I can pay for this in one job and I have a couple of mates who I’ll be happy to lend it to gratis so it gets used.

6. Truckcab79

Yep. Good point. I’m not sure I’d be happy being accurate over long spans with an angle grinder personally but probably because I don’t do enough if it.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Or put it on eBay, though for £319 it's bugger all really isn't it.

8. Truckcab79

Yea might wait for now. Tried to buy it. Cheeky sods don’t mention it’s 20% off just on tiles until you try to apply the discount code. I get trade at Topps Tiles anyway which makes it £299. I’ll buy it but may as well wait until I actually have a porcelain job booked I reckon.

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Give it a go, I also used to have the same doub regarding accuracy with an angle grinder but it's remarkably easy once you've tried it.
    Better than feeding a heavy 600 x 600 porcelain slab over a table saw!
    I've cut 1200 x 600 porcelain with the grinder on a few jobs with great results. I wouldn't even comprehend trying to push them through a wet cutter.
    I use these: https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-tile-porcelain-diamond-blade/p87878.
    Or these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist...rinder-diamond-tile-blade-115-x-22-23mm/5307r
    The abracs are just as good as the marcrist both in quality of cut and longevity, depends what's in stock at the time and distance to pick up.

Jord86 and Truckcab79 like this.
  10. Truckcab79

Cheers. I’ll give them a go. Will try the abracs next time I get a porcelain job. I always thought marcrist we’re meant to be top notch but I’d bought some previously for cutting some sandstone slabs and they were dreadful. I was getting far cleaner cuts with my regular choice of Erbauer blades.

11. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

I would recommend investing in a decent score and snap cutter over any wet saw.
    A Sigma 3c3m will snap the toughest porcelain tiles up to 700mm, and will save a lot of mess and more importantly your time.
    I believe Topps sell these now so might be worth having a go with one in store.

longboat likes this.
  12. Truckcab79

many thanks. Will have a look at those.

13. Truckcab79

Had a look at the sigma and that model number seems like an older one but I’m guessing part of ‘Series 3’. I have a job starting shortly with 10mm ceramic tiles with an uneven glazed face. Reckon my Rubi Practic is probably going to be at its limits at best so now is probably a good time to upgrade.

So inshort, from the current range what’s the ‘right’ one to go for. Serie 3? Technica? Push? Pull? Push/Pull and bearing in mind I won’t be doing huge format tiles any time soon but could well be doing 600’s, just go for the biggest over 600mm?

14. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

If you have only used a Rubi machine you might find using a Sigma takes some time to get used to it as you cut away from the measuring bar and your sight of cutting mark is slightly hidden due to the single rail.

But a 3c3m Max is the one I use and can recommend, Protiler Tools have them on eBay or pick up a used one if you can find one, they are fairly indestructible machines.

Alternatively have a look at the Montolit Masterpiuma Evolution 3 75cm.

15. Truckcab79

Many thanks. I’ve read about the issue of the cutting mark being hidden. Will have a look at the Montolit also.