Run on cooking oil?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by markysparky, Sep 14, 2005.

1. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Don't know if this is the correct forum to post on but anyway,

With the ever increasing price on fuel I was just wondering what was involved in converting a bog standard diesel engine to run on cooking oil?

I heard it is perfectly legal as long as it is declared and you would get charged 22p a litre by the tax man.

So I want to know. Is it feasible?, if so what's involved and how much roughly would it cost to alter.

Thanks

2. dpm

dpm New Member

Depends. Do you mean new or waste oil? And what kind of engine. More recent stuff is less forgiving.

try somewhere like journeytoforever.org

3. T0NY

T0NY New Member

4. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

My brother-in-law has just left, he told me that he is now running his work run-a-bout on Tesco's cooking oil. He has noticed slightly better performance along with a strange smell. His mate has been doing so for 6 months. I'll let you know if he blows it up!:)

5. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. Interesting reading on the links and makes you wonder why there isn't more than what there is.

My particular vehicle is a nissan vannette. So there is no fancy technology with it.

Would anyone have an idea of cost to get a conversion?

Also would it still work on normal diesel if it was converted?

Thanks

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

When in South Africa 30 years ago a great many farms grew sunflowers for the seeds and oil to make margerine type spreads.
    The farmers used 10% of the crop to run all their deisels on for the year.
    No extra cost and no tax to the government.

7. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Good idea Dewy! wonder how many so called hard up farmers here do the same??

8. Dewy

Dewy New Member

It could be a lot until the government find out and put a tax on sunflowers.
    There used to be someone who would fit akit to any car so it could run of chicken **.
    The government were seriously considering taxing ** after he was on the tele.
    All it had was a butterflly valve instead of the carburetter the same as they did in the war when they had large bags filled with coal gas on the rooves of cars.

[Edited by: admin12]

9. markysparky

markysparky New Member

As far as I'm aware, you can run your car legally on cooking oil as long as you declare it to the tax man and therefore get charged 28p a litre.

But some vehicles can run on used cooking oil. Which you could get free but would need filtering first.

Buying cooking oil from new, plus the tax added on wouldn't save you much unless you do a lot of miles.

Considering 0 emmissions and no dependsy on the middle east you'd think the goverment would do more to encourage it.

Performance doesn't suffer using it

10. MechEng

MechEng New Member

If it's a modern diesel, particularly those with High Pressure Common Rail injection systems, I would seriously suggest that you don't use cooking oil!!
    The pressures generated in a HPCR system are in the 1300-1600 bar region, and the fuel pump relies on the diesel oil to lubricate it properly as it generates this extremely high pressure.
    You WILL damage the Fuel Injection Pump with cooking oil, and you will invalidate the warranty.

That said, if you have an old mechanical injection system, then you'll most likely get away without any troubles.

11. Datacom

Datacom New Member

The engine will run on oil, but used oil is better, and it has to be combined with a solvent and left to stand for a period of time.

Just pouring cooking oil into your tank will do nothing but clog up your diesel filter and bugger up your engine, it wont run on it.

Look at the viscosity of cooking oil in relation to diesel, and cooking oil won't ignite as easy as diesel either.

12. losewire

losewire New Member

strange i thought it was petrol engins that ignited the fuel, not diesels tha expanded the fuel

13. dpm

dpm New Member

If you read any of the links, you'll find that rotary pump engines (PSA XUDs, pre-PD VW TDIs, '80s and '90s Japanese stuff) will run fine on VO. If it's heated so that the viscosity approaches that of normal derv it'll flow fine.

yes, you can pour some straight into the tank where it'll dissolve in and be diluted by the normal diesel

and VO and bio-D have a HIGHER cetane than petrodiesel. That is they ignite more easily. Remember, it's cetane for diesel, octane for petrol.

Power and mpgs tend to be down about 10% on biofuels as their energy density (BTU/l) is slightly lower. Increased cetane and lubricity help to make up for it tho.

Anecdotaly, 5-10% biodiesel gives all the benefits of increased cetane and lubricity without the negatives...

14. E J WOOD

E J WOOD New Member

i was resentle told of a fual crisis as i went to get some diesel from my local supermarket i was asked on the way in to the carpark, fual or shopping , after looking at the wait for fual i replied shopping, then went in store and bought £10.00 of vege +sunflower oil . put in tank from empty , run just as well and half the price

15. Shake

Shake New Member

strange i thought it was petrol engins that ignited
    the fuel, not diesels tha expanded the fuel

In both types of engine the fuel is ignited.

A petrol engine mixes air and petrol (carburetor or fuel injection) which is compressed by the pistons and ignited by the spark plug.

A diesel engine is fed air only and this is compressed giving out heat ( remember when you pumped up your push bike tyres with a hand pump and the end of the pump got hot - that was due to the compression of the air). Diesel is then injected into this compressed hot air and the diesel ignites immediately.

16. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Thanks for that :)

My van a Nissan Vannette ain't anything fancy just a normal straight forward diesel engine so does anybody know how it would do on cooking oil. After reading the links you have to install some kind of heater to thin the oil to the same as normal diesel.

But what I want to know is if I was to get a conversion done. Could it still run on diesel without the need for a separate tank?

And does anybody have an idea of cost to see if it was financially viable or not!

17. vwmark

vwmark New Member

Quite a few older VW's will run on 100% VO but most owners have said they mix 50/50 and don't have to bother with pre-heaters etc. There are quite a few discussions going on on different forums on this subject.

How old is the Vanette - if its a few years old I would try a few litres in a tank and gradually increase.

Someone in work is trying to get his central heating boiler to work off the old hydraulic oil we have! We have about 1000 litres a month with we have to pay to dispose of.

18. Sick on the Cat

Sick on the Cat New Member

Hey vwmark..

I have a 1997 Transporter that with AAZ 1.9td golf engine in it. Do you think this will run ok on VO?

NTFM

19. dpm

dpm New Member

The Vanette should have a Denso or Diesel Kiki pump, it'll convert OK I'd think.

Likewise the AAZ is a Bosch pump, will be OK.

Try tdiclub.com forums for VO conversion info on VWs.

20. Gusset

Gusset New Member

F-I-L ran an unmodified F reg land rover on 75:25 diesel:cooking oil for years, no problems other than smelling like a chippy. Stripped the engine down after about 10000 miles for a look-see (he was that sort of bloke!) and no problems. Buy it in 25 ltr cans from Costco.
    Biodiesel is currently economically viable only when oil hits $70 / barrel. We need government help to encourage production at the moment, but environmentally it makes a lot of sense. No engine modifications are needed to use it, it is renewable and almost carbon neutral. In 20 years time UK farmers will be falling over each other to supply the raw materials, but at the moment there are not enough refiners to make it worth their while. Bioethananol (made by fermenting glucose from wheat or maize) is the other alternative and a little cheaper, but requires engine modifications.